Old 22-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Scorzonera, cooking the root and green leaves

I have grown scorzonera for years and only recently discovered that if you
parboil for a few minutes, you can peal the roots so much easier. I used
to peal them raw and cut away the outer skin (which can be thick). Now it
works just to scrape off the black skin of the parboiled veg. So much less
waste and the sticky scorzonera milk (like glue) does not get you either!
I use my scozonera as a perenial. I replant the top inch of a root
(sometimes subdevide it) every year.
What an awesome vegetable it is.
Does anyone eat the leaves? I have tried them raw and they are ok.
Sweet even.
Perhaps there are recipes for cooked scorzonera?
It seems that every part of the plant is edible but limited info about the
leaves and stem is available.
Have you any more info?
Thank you
Brian White
BC Canada

Old 22-05-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 56iZj.286650$pM4.123824@pd7urf1no,
brian writes:

| I have grown scorzonera for years and only recently discovered that if you
| parboil for a few minutes, you can peal the roots so much easier. ...

A useful tip - thanks.

| I use my scozonera as a perenial. I replant the top inch of a root
| (sometimes subdevide it) every year.

I tried that, but it didn't work for me.

| Perhaps there are recipes for cooked scorzonera?

I made an excellent salsify and squid salad, and repeated it with
scorzonera. Essentially, salsify/scorzonera, poached squid, some
shallot, a little fresh chilli and French dressing. Leave for a
while, and include rocket and top with crumbled fried thin, dry,
uncooked ham (of any of the usual types).

| It seems that every part of the plant is edible but limited info about the
| leaves and stem is available.
| Have you any more info?

I have read that you can blanch it, like seakale. I tried it once,
and it was good but not worth the bother of repeating.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2008, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian" wrote in message
I have grown scorzonera for years and only recently discovered that if you
parboil for a few minutes, you can peal the roots so much easier. I used
to peal them raw and cut away the outer skin (which can be thick). Now it
works just to scrape off the black skin of the parboiled veg. So much less
waste and the sticky scorzonera milk (like glue) does not get you either!
I use my scozonera as a perenial. I replant the top inch of a root
(sometimes subdevide it) every year.
What an awesome vegetable it is.
Does anyone eat the leaves?

No.

I scrub them and cook them without peeling, then eat the lot.

Mary

Cooking and eating moles??? Gene Stonerly Edible Gardening 13 05-03-2008 12:54 AM
Scorzonera Runnerbean Lawns 0 15-05-2007 03:47 PM
bay leaves for cooking fourmations United Kingdom 6 22-05-2006 03:33 PM
try cooking the spring's old car and Georgina will learn you Sam D. Bonitz United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:38 AM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM