GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another tomato query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/174937-another-tomato-query.html)

Paul Luton[_2_] 22-05-2008 10:02 PM

Another tomato query

The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate
poisoning and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse.
Do I just leave and hope that they will grow out of it ? (at least the
bindweed is looking poorly too )

Thanks
Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Bob Hobden 22-05-2008 11:13 PM

Another tomato query

"Paul Luton" wrote
The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate poisoning
and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse. Do I just
leave and hope that they will grow out of it ? (at least the bindweed is
looking poorly too )

Could be sun scorch. Is you greenhouse shaded?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-05-2008 08:42 AM

Another tomato query

In article ,
says...
The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate
poisoning and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse.
Do I just leave and hope that they will grow out of it ? (at least the
bindweed is looking poorly too )

Thanks
Paul

I suspect it is not weedkiller as Tomatoes are very suseptable to
glysophate and would be dead long before the bindweed which takes longer
to die
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Paul Luton[_2_] 24-05-2008 12:57 PM

Another tomato query

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate
poisoning and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse.
Do I just leave and hope that they will grow out of it ? (at least the
bindweed is looking poorly too )

Thanks
Paul

I suspect it is not weedkiller as Tomatoes are very suseptable to
glysophate and would be dead long before the bindweed which takes longer
to die

Thanks for identifying the susceptibility - the bindweed was being
sprayed at 2 inches whilst the tomatoes were only getting what drifted
15 feet away and up through a greenhouse roof vent so they would have to
be very susceptible to be affected at all.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

stoker 24-05-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Luton[_2_] (Post 793858)
The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate
poisoning and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse.

It seems unlikely in the situation you describe that the tomatoes would have been touched by the herbicide. If the leaves are not browned or otherwise marked it could be that (if you are new to tomato growing) you have not previously experienced the natural leaf curling habit of a healthy growing tomato plant. Sometimes so apparent that it might be perceived as some sort of infection.
I hope this suggestion might throw some light on your problem Paul.

Paul Luton[_2_] 24-05-2008 08:56 PM

Another tomato query

stoker wrote:
'Paul Luton[_2_ Wrote:
;793858']The top leaves on my greenhouse tomatoes are looking a bit
shrivelled.
The nearest match that I could find on the net was glyphosphate
poisoning and I was using that on some bindweed outside the greenhouse.

It seems unlikely in the situation you describe that the tomatoes would
have been touched by the herbicide. If the leaves are not browned or
otherwise marked it could be that (if you are new to tomato growing)
you have not previously experienced the natural leaf curling habit of a
healthy growing tomato plant. Sometimes so apparent that it might be
perceived as some sort of infection.
I hope this suggestion might throw some light on your problem Paul.

Thanks - I have not grown tomatoes indoors for many years and haven't
seen this behaviour with outdoor tomatoes.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames