GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Now I have to move a fern (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175011-now-i-have-move-fern.html)

Sheila 25-05-2008 11:46 AM

Now I have to move a fern

This is a very large one, (well for me it is) its about 3/4 feet in
diameter, and I have at least half a days notice on this one!! Are they
difficult to dig out? shall I split it first or what, thanks.

Des Higgins 25-05-2008 05:03 PM

Now I have to move a fern

On May 25, 11:46*am, "Sheila" wrote:
This is a very large one, (well for me it is) its about 3/4 feet in
diameter, and I have at least half a days notice on this one!! * Are they
difficult to dig out? shall I split it first or what, thanks.

Depends on the kind of fern. I would not have thought of being able
to split most of the standard garden ones. If there is a single lots
of fronds coming from one place, then I doubt if it will split.
Otherwise, just do same as what you did with Hostas, is my guess. Dig
it out with as much soil attached as you can.