Old 31-05-2008, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World presenter?

Oh that's okay , i was just throwing names into the pot think the man
from Lincolnshire was Nigel Colborn?

Knows his stuff, but (how does one put this politely? ) .....dull :-(
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1800+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.

Now post your own Sport information!
Old 31-05-2008, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2008 01:15:05 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

What about Gay Search? Or the one that lives up in Lincolnshire, genial
tall bloke but can't remember his name.
I say vote for Mr Smith!

Absolutely NOT Gay Search! I never saw her do anything more than snip a few
things with secateurs and her voice drives me up the wall. Phew, sorry!

Oh that's okay , i was just throwing names into the pot think the man
from Lincolnshire was Nigel Colborn?
--

Oh, please, NOT Nigel Colbourne. I won't say why!

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-05-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes
And don't blame the garden centres or nurseries for offering plants in
flower, you try standing all day at a plant sale not selling you plants
which are green and watching a stream of customers carrying off inflower
foxgloves and see how long it takes you to figure that people want stuff
with flower on :~)

Oh I second that, from innumerable stints at NGS days ! They'd rather
have a load of some horrible fairly invasive herbaceous plants than wait
until a hoheria comes out or a special clematis etc.!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-05-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:04:11 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote:

At least four times in a year, you're going to have a 'fifth week'.

There's always one isn't there?

I guess there is something to be said for the "first monday" or WHY type
of scheduling for conventional broadcasting, this doesn't apply to a
monthly DVD or download though.

What would you propose in this instance?

What would *you* propose in this instance?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 31-05-2008, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2008 06:57:40 +0100, Alan wrote:

A celebrity is exactly the right kind of person for the show.

snip
Having someone who knows little about gardening means that you will get
a program with many 'guests' ...

I half detect a contradiction in terms there. B-)

*IF* (big if) you can find a "celebrity" with a good enough grounding
across the board in horticulture to understand the expert guests then fair
enough. But it appears that most here want a programme that deals with
plants, the conditions they require and what sort of routine things should
be done in the garden at this time of year. Not what colour decking stain
is de rigueur, how to light your barbie or illuminate your brick and
paving slab sunken patio.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

So Roy it is. )

Roy?

Typo!

Ray.

Ah! I thought you were meaning Roy Lancaster, which would be rather
difficult!

Is he no longer contributing to BBC programmes? I have always been
impressed by his depth of knowledge of plants but I can see that perhaps
he would not fit with today's style of lightweight programmes.

--
Robert
Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 May 2008 23:12:38 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote:

You went off on a 'DVD tangent' after you proposed your show format,
though!

Thinking on my keys... B-) As much as many here would like a good, hands
on, practical gardening programme it reality that isn't going to hit the
broadcast screens unless it's on a minority channel at 0330 Sunday
morning. The next to useless, instant makeover, life style, pap wins the
mass audience.

What would *you* propose in this instance?

Viewers questions? You'd have three months to organise it... G

Yep, I'd go with that or some other "audience involement" maybe a visit to
someones garden/allotment to see how things suggested in the programme
have worked, or not(*), in the real world.

(*)And if not an explanation of why not. That is far better learning
experience than just watching everything go as planned.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 May, 10:02, "JennyC" wrote:
Not many possibilities as far as I can see, unless there is some unknown out
there who would surprise us all !

You kidding - I've met hundreds, really, hundreds of people over the
years who could be great at this job. I think we're a bit too
demanding when it comes to 'presenter'. We seem to want it all in one
person - not really fair ;o) To name but a few, what about Chaz
Griffiths, Emma Cooper, Robert Hart (is he alive still?), Mark
Hammond, Graham Bell, what about Anna Pavord ... imagine the treat!!
Tomas Remiaz, Stella Cubbizon? Caroline Foley ... and Rod Everett! I
met Noel Kingsbury a couple of weeks ago in London - he'd be
histerical, so full of life and exciting, and full of last minute
ideas and what's on. There's lots of people out there who have proved
they can show, from workshops to writing books about it, that they can
intertain us as well as giving us tips and sharing secrets and ideas.

Also this year I've refused to watch anything about Chelsea. I've
heard that they've dressed Joe Swift in a super hero outfit of some
kind. Looks like I haven't missed one thing. I'd rather read about it
- no worries about regional accents there ;o)
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/6/08 11:57, in article , "robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

So Roy it is. )

Roy?

Typo!

Ray.

Ah! I thought you were meaning Roy Lancaster, which would be rather
difficult!

Is he no longer contributing to BBC programmes? I have always been
impressed by his depth of knowledge of plants but I can see that perhaps
he would not fit with today's style of lightweight programmes.

I think he's still on GQT but somewhere at the back of my mind I have a
faint memory that there was some slightly unhappy reason for him not
presenting on tv any more. Did he have a fall out with other presenters -
something of that seems to come to mind? Yes he is indeed very
knowledgeable but might not have the lightness of touch modern programming
seems to require! Personally, I'd like to see someone like him with plenty
of real experience and knowledge than someone in a gimmicky hat, or whatever
the latest fad is! I think, too, that for the credibility of the programme,
it has to be someone who is known to the public, not some total unknown who
just suddenly bursts onto our screens.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I think he's still on GQT but somewhere at the back of my mind I have a
faint memory that there was some slightly unhappy reason for him not
presenting on tv any more. Did he have a fall out with other presenters -
something of that seems to come to mind? Yes he is indeed very
knowledgeable but might not have the lightness of touch modern programming
seems to require! Personally, I'd like to see someone like him with plenty
of real experience and knowledge than someone in a gimmicky hat, or whatever
the latest fad is! I think, too, that for the credibility of the programme,
it has to be someone who is known to the public, not some total unknown who
just suddenly bursts onto our screens.

Then the 'boss gardener ' from Harrogate RHS garden would be a good
compromise. Not sure what his name is, Matthew Wilson i think. Now he
is very good and knows trillions of things about gardening and is down
to earth. I have read either here or in a magazine that he was being
considered.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jun, 19:47, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Then the 'boss gardener ' from Harrogate RHS garden would be a good
compromise. Not sure what his name is, *Matthew Wilson i think. Now he
is very good and knows trillions of things about gardening and is down
to earth. I have read either here or in a magazine that he was being
considered.

Yes, Matthew Wilson is head gardener at Harlow Carr. What about Fergus
Garrett from Great Dixter. He's lovely.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/6/08 19:47, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I don't know him but he'd be great. Keith Wiley, previously of The Garden
House would be excellent but I think he'd probably rather eat his own
pancreas!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Does anyone know Iain Billot, done radio and t.v. work in Scotland and is
now based in Devon I think. I am told he would make a very good presenter.

kate

p.s. the tomato`s are doing well Sacha :-)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/6/08 10:58, in article net,
"Kate Morgan" wrote:

Does anyone know Iain Billot, done radio and t.v. work in Scotland and is
now based in Devon I think. I am told he would make a very good presenter.

kate

p.s. the tomato`s are doing well Sacha :-)

Don't know Iain Billot but am delighted re tomatoes. Ours have baby fruit
on them and I can't wait to get at them!