Old 25-05-2008, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World presenter?

My computer died and I have not posted for a long time . Didn't bother to
replace the computer - there is life outside of this virtual world.

Whilst everyone wishes Monty Don all the best and a speedy recovery. The
reality is he leaves a hole in the garden at Gardeners World.

I have to say I am not enamored with the possibilities. I don't think it
would be too unrealistic to say that Monty was a peoples choice promoted
by those in this newsgroup ( the original BBC choice being Dairimud Gavin of
people are old enough and still have brain cells enough to recall) .

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and get
the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition and
frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was in charge
and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

Old 25-05-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

endymion wrote:
My computer died and I have not posted for a long time . Didn't bother
to replace the computer - there is life outside of this virtual world.

Whilst everyone wishes Monty Don all the best and a speedy recovery.
The reality is he leaves a hole in the garden at Gardeners World.

I have to say I am not enamored with the possibilities. I don't think
it would be too unrealistic to say that Monty was a peoples choice
promoted by those in this newsgroup ( the original BBC choice being
Dairimud Gavin of people are old enough and still have brain cells
enough to recall) .

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and
get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition
and frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was
in charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

I couldn't care less who presents it as long as they're replaced on a
weekly basis. Presenters become personalities, then celebrities, and
finally national treasures, by which time no one other than the BBC can
stand the sight of them.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/05/08 18:11, endymion wrote:
My computer died and I have not posted for a long time . Didn't bother
to replace the computer - there is life outside of this virtual world.

Whilst everyone wishes Monty Don all the best and a speedy recovery.
The reality is he leaves a hole in the garden at Gardeners World.

I have to say I am not enamored with the possibilities. I don't think
it would be too unrealistic to say that Monty was a peoples choice
promoted by those in this newsgroup ( the original BBC choice being
Dairimud Gavin of people are old enough and still have brain cells
enough to recall) .

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and
get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition
and frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was
in charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

The basic thing is... what is the purpose/aim of Gardeners World?

Until this is clarified, it is useless to consider who the front
person should be..

Ed

Old 26-05-2008, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote
My computer died and I have not posted for a long time . Didn't bother to
replace the computer - there is life outside of this virtual world.

Whilst everyone wishes Monty Don all the best and a speedy recovery. The
reality is he leaves a hole in the garden at Gardeners World.

I have to say I am not enamored with the possibilities. I don't think it
would be too unrealistic to say that Monty was a peoples choice promoted
by those in this newsgroup ( the original BBC choice being Dairimud Gavin
of people are old enough and still have brain cells enough to recall) .

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and
get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition and
frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was in
charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

I too hardly ever watch these days, it can be interesting occasionally but
mostly it seems more interested in the personalities than the plants to my
mind.

Percy, come back, all is forgiven.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-05-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ed
wrote

Until this is clarified, it is useless to consider who the front
person should be..

The BBC want to make the program more appealing to the general viewing
public, and more of a lifestyle program. The new presenter will be Terry
Wogan.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 26-05-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"endymion" wrote

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and
get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition
and frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was in
charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

I too hardly ever watch these days, it can be interesting occasionally but
mostly it seems more interested in the personalities than the plants to my
mind.

Percy, come back, all is forgiven.

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I suspect
thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or " lifestyle"
presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I want to see a
gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I suspect my
watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

Old 26-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
I too hardly ever watch these days, it can be interesting occasionally but
mostly it seems more interested in the personalities than the plants to my
mind.
I feel the same rarely actually watch it, it's on in the background and if something interesting comes on then I might take note.

I think the head gardener, Alys Fowler, should take over, the programme might then become watchable and her dog could replace chalky as a national treasure :-)
But please not Carol Kline or Joe Swift, otherwise it won't get switched on at all.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:38:07 +0100, Alan wrote:

The BBC want to make the program more appealing to the general viewing
public, and more of a lifestyle program. The new presenter will be Terry
Wogan.

What we need is a proper gardener, I was impressed with the female who was
helping Monty Don, sorry forgot her name, she gave a two min demo , and yes
99% of us know how to prick out seedlings, but it was done clearly and simply,
seems she does the work when the cameras are not about.
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1800+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.

Now post your own Sport information!
Old 26-05-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:40:06 +0100, Derek
wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:38:07 +0100, Alan wrote:

The BBC want to make the program more appealing to the general viewing
public, and more of a lifestyle program. The new presenter will be Terry
Wogan.

What we need is a proper gardener, I was impressed with the female who was
helping Monty Don, sorry forgot her name, she gave a two min demo , and yes
99% of us know how to prick out seedlings, but it was done clearly and simply,
seems she does the work when the cameras are not about.

She is the one who does all the work. The presenters just call in one
day a week to push in a spade while they talk to the camera.
Old 26-05-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wittered on after
"endymion" wrote

[...]

I suspect nobody involved with the programme in the production team is a
serious gardener or plantsperson. That or it could just be they have to
chase the viewing figures and therefore don't want to alienate the masses
with a serious programme that teaches stuff, might tax their brains. Or
perhaps a bit of both.

I set myself up to watch one of the Chelsea programmes this week as it was
advertised as being the one where they were showing plants in the tent, must
have blinked!
I want to know the current Latin name, where they grow in the wild and the
conditions there, when it was brought into cultivation, by whom, the
conditions it needs in the UK... not "Oooh that's lovely!", I can see that
thank you.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-05-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Something which annoys me on many many programmes, is where we are being
shown something on the 'how to do' basis, whether it's a gardening project,
cooking, do it yourself or anything where we want to see 'how to hold a
hammer and where to hit the nail to drive it in', and what do we see? The
hairs growing out of some celebrity's ears :-((

Show us the hands camera man show us the hands. Which finger do I put on the
top of the nail before I hit it? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or thumb?

Mike

Old 26-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
I was impressed with the female who was
helping Monty Don, sorry forgot her name,
If you'd bothered to read my post from earlier you would know it's Alys Fowler :-)
Old 26-05-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:53:53 +0100, Granity
wrote:

If you'd bothered to read my post from earlier you would know it's Alys
Fowler :-)

must post a note to myself not to go, and make a coffee, between reading
posts and replying :-)

Old 26-05-2008, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Which brings us nicely back to my comment, Percy, come back, all is
forgiven. If he was going stuff you saw his hands not his face.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-05-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/5/08 22:20, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

snip

Which brings us nicely back to my comment, Percy, come back, all is
forgiven. If he was going stuff you saw his hands not his face.

Yes. But someone else still dug the holes for him. ;-))
--
Sacha