GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why House Leeks? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175165-why-house-leeks.html)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 28-05-2008 12:11 PM

Why House Leeks?

I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
(among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
Leek?

(Best we came up with was the stopped the roof leaking!!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_3_] 28-05-2008 12:26 PM

Why House Leeks?

On 28/5/08 12:11, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
(among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
Leek?

(Best we came up with was the stopped the roof leaking!!)

I think it might be something to do with the shape of the flower, though I
prefer your version!
http://www.stibbs.org/Holidays/Alpba...Alpbach143.JPG
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 28-05-2008 12:47 PM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
| talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
| (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
| common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
| Leek?

The OED says that it's Old English, but gives no hint as to why it
is the only non-bulbous plant called a leek. Given the age of the
word, the reasons are unlikely to emerge if the future!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 28-05-2008 01:53 PM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
| talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
| (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
| common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
| Leek?

The OED says that it's Old English, but gives no hint as to why it
is the only non-bulbous plant called a leek. Given the age of the
word, the reasons are unlikely to emerge if the future!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for that.

intrigued I have looked further and found that leac the old english/saxon
word means plant so the name translates as house plant. They appear to
have been grown on house because of the flowers supposed resemblance to
Thor or Jupiter's beard. The site below says the Romans were pretty keen
on them.
That will have to do me I suspect!
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/houlee41.html

Nick Maclaren 28-05-2008 02:36 PM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| intrigued I have looked further and found that leac the old english/saxon
| word means plant so the name translates as house plant. ...

Since the OED doesn't, I suspect that the known uses are inadequate
to draw that conclusion! I.e. the context could be met equally well
by it meaning any plant or a specific type of plant.

For example, 'grass' was any plant that could be eaten by animals
like horses and cattle - i.e. 'graze'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Hinge 2 28-05-2008 08:45 PM

Why House Leeks?

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:
In article ,
says...
In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
| talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
| (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
| common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
| Leek?

The OED says that it's Old English, but gives no hint as to why it
is the only non-bulbous plant called a leek. Given the age of the
word, the reasons are unlikely to emerge if the future!

Thanks for that.

intrigued I have looked further and found that leac the old english/saxon
word means plant so the name translates as house plant. They appear to
have been grown on house because of the flowers supposed resemblance to
Thor or Jupiter's beard. The site below says the Romans were pretty keen
on them.
That will have to do me I suspect!
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/houlee41.html

I understand that they were grown on roofs because it was believed they
kept lightning away.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Nick Maclaren 28-05-2008 11:33 PM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| | I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
| | talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
| | (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
| | common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
| | Leek?
|
| I understand that they were grown on roofs because it was believed they
| kept lightning away.

Clearly a predecessor of paper bags, then.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Des Higgins 29-05-2008 11:40 AM

Why House Leeks?

On May 28, 1:53 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet time was
| talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells House Leeks
| (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they have their
| common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on roofs etc but
| Leek?

The OED says that it's Old English, but gives no hint as to why it
is the only non-bulbous plant called a leek. Given the age of the
word, the reasons are unlikely to emerge if the future!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for that.

intrigued I have looked further and found that leac the old english/saxon
word means plant so the name translates as house plant. They appear to
have been grown on house because of the flowers supposed resemblance to
Thor or Jupiter's beard. The site below says the Romans were pretty keen
on them.
That will have to do me I suspect!http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/houlee41.html
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

The modern German word Lauch is now used to mean Leek and occasionally
Scallion/Spring Onion.
There are some variations like Knoblauch for Garlic (knob leek - great
name) but these days the word is only used in a very narrow sense like
in English. The original meaning that you describe/found is
interesting. Clearly words can change their range of use over time.

Nick Maclaren 29-05-2008 11:44 AM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
Des Higgins writes:

| The original meaning that you describe/found is
| interesting. Clearly words can change their range of use over time.

I prevented you on that one!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Des Higgins 29-05-2008 11:46 AM

Why House Leeks?

On May 29, 11:44 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Des Higgins writes:

| The original meaning that you describe/found is
| interesting. Clearly words can change their range of use over time.

I prevented you on that one!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I will offer a fulsome apology in due course

Rusty Hinge 2 01-06-2008 03:24 PM

Why House Leeks?

The message

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| | I was at a plant sale over the weekend and during a quiet
time was
| | talking to Mark Walsh of Trecanna nurseries and he sells
House Leeks
| | (among other things) none of us in the group knew why they
have their
| | common name, The House bit it ok as people grew them on
roofs etc but
| | Leek?
|
| I understand that they were grown on roofs because it was believed they
| kept lightning away.

Clearly a predecessor of paper bags, then.

I thought they discouraged the pink elephants?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 01-06-2008 03:26 PM

Why House Leeks?

The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:
On May 29, 11:44 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article
,Des Higgins writes:

| The original meaning that you describe/found is
| interesting. Clearly words can change their range of use over time.

I prevented you on that one!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I will offer a fulsome apology in due course

I think you are applying some sophistication here.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

[email protected] 01-06-2008 05:24 PM

Why House Leeks?

On 28 May, 20:45, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
I understand that they were grown on roofs because it was believed they
kept lightning away.

That and it was good material for thatching. In France we call it
artichauds des montagnes. Not leek, but artichocke! Which is perhaps
closer to what it looks like. Tectorum, as in sempervivum tectorum,
means roofing.

Nick Maclaren 01-06-2008 06:42 PM

Why House Leeks?

In article ,
writes:
| On 28 May, 20:45, Rusty Hinge 2
| wrote:
| I understand that they were grown on roofs because it was believed they
| kept lightning away.
|
| That and it was good material for thatching. In France we call it
| artichauds des montagnes. Not leek, but artichocke! Which is perhaps
| closer to what it looks like. Tectorum, as in sempervivum tectorum,
| means roofing.

Not quite. It means "of roofs".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.