GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Radish Problem: All leaves no radishes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175198-radish-problem-all-leaves-no-radishes.html)

[email protected] 29-05-2008 02:11 PM

Radish Problem: All leaves no radishes

I sowed seed directly in to compost in big pots well over a month ago,
but the plants have only produced a profusion of leaves and no radish.
They have also started to produce flower buds too! What have I done
wrong? Is it perhaps that I didn't thin them out enough?
I've read that you can eat the leaves, so maybe I'll have to give up
on the radishes themselves.

Granity 29-05-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 795059)
I sowed seed directly in to compost in big pots well over a month ago,
but the plants have only produced a profusion of leaves and no radish.
They have also started to produce flower buds too! What have I done
wrong? Is it perhaps that I didn't thin them out enough?
I've read that you can eat the leaves, so maybe I'll have to give up
on the radishes themselves.

I had the same problem last year, this year I'm trying then in some compost that was used in a basket last year and is not very rich in plant food and so far so good in so much that they are forming nice bulbous root.

mogga 30-05-2008 01:15 PM

On Thu, 29 May 2008 06:11:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I sowed seed directly in to compost in big pots well over a month ago,
but the plants have only produced a profusion of leaves and no radish.
They have also started to produce flower buds too! What have I done
wrong? Is it perhaps that I didn't thin them out enough?
I've read that you can eat the leaves, so maybe I'll have to give up
on the radishes themselves.

The best radishes I've ever grown were in old tire plant pots filled
with garden soil, stuck under a tree and not watered very much. It
amazed me they grew at all.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Rusty Hinge 2 01-06-2008 03:22 PM

Radish Problem: All leaves no radishes

The message
from contains these words:

I sowed seed directly in to compost in big pots well over a month ago,
but the plants have only produced a profusion of leaves and no radish.
They have also started to produce flower buds too! What have I done
wrong? Is it perhaps that I didn't thin them out enough?
I've read that you can eat the leaves, so maybe I'll have to give up
on the radishes themselves.

Treat the leaves as you would spinach.

Very tasty, and (I'm told) extremely good at deterring cancer...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

[email protected] 01-06-2008 06:24 PM

On 29 May, 14:11, wrote:
I sowed seed directly in to compost in big pots well over a month ago,
but the plants have only produced a profusion of leaves and no radish.
They have also started to produce flower buds too! What have I done
wrong? Is it perhaps that I didn't thin them out enough?
I've read that you can eat the leaves, so maybe I'll have to give up
on the radishes themselves.

Did you thined them down a bit - they like a lot of room to form their
delicious roots (I usually eat there and then the ones I pull out).
They need watering well - once they dry out they don't cope so well.
But you can try again, don't give up - I'm just about to sow some -
you can do this until end of June for some radish end of summer. Don't
let them go dry, ever.