Old 28-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Hussein M.

Default Bye Bye

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:41:14 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Hussein M. contains these words:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:54:35 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Charlie" contains these words:

Boy, you're gonna get flamed now! =D

He's not likely to get any reaction at all from those who don't bother
reading persistent top-posters.

Oh come on! Do you mean to say Janet, that when you open a message
and see "original text" at the top you delete it straight away?

No. Haven't you followed the thread? When newbies arrive, I make a
point of answering **however awkwardly their posts are presented**. IOW,
I read innocent newbies who top-post, but only for a limited time. As
they become habitual urglers, I expect them to gradually pick up the
rudiments of clear posting, (which is made easy for them in the weekly
abc post).

After a while, even after someone has politely suggested otherwise,
some no-longer-new posters persistently top post, or repost unedited
unnecessary screeds unedited. I consider that a discourtesy to the group
because it makes big threads so hard to follow; and I've noticed that
those who deliberately go down that road, seldom have anything witty or
wise to say.

No, I don't bother to open their posts then shut them; I just set my
newsreader so that I don't see them any more (unless someone else quotes
from them, as Charlie did Badger's in this instance). As this thread
shows, I'm not alone.

Some newbie top-posters don't realise what effect their habit has on
other readers. They might prefer to continue getting replies from
posters who know what they are talking about.

OK Janet,

I don't generally top post but I suppose I am a little more flexible
when reading others. If it's a thread in which I am generally
interested I am prepared to make allowances.

I think the crux of the matter is that posts should be clear however
they are constructed and I have already pointed out that simply bottom
posting does not, of itself, necessarily achieve that.

Am I about to go into your kill file then? Actually I wouldn't
blame you - if only for the content of many of my messages which do
tend to blather on somewhat. :-(

Pax

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 28-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Hussein M." wrote in message
news
dross snipped
I don't generally top post but I suppose I am a little more flexible
when reading others. If it's a thread in which I am generally
interested I am prepared to make allowances.

I think the crux of the matter is that posts should be clear however
they are constructed and I have already pointed out that simply bottom
posting does not, of itself, necessarily achieve that.

I just wish people would learn to *snip* the irrelevent parts out of the
thread they are replying to as they learn how to *snip* flowers.

With threads as long as some of them on URG, it becomes difficult to follow
when someone top posts as one doesn`t know which answer is being replied to.

Surely it`s easy to hit Reply Group, read through a post from the top and
cut out the irrelevent sections. By this time you are at the bottom of the
post where you put your reply.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 29-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 02:27:16 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"Hussein M." wrote in message
news

I think the crux of the matter is that posts should be clear however
they are constructed and I have already pointed out that simply bottom
posting does not, of itself, necessarily achieve that.

I just wish people would learn to *snip* the irrelevent parts out of the
thread they are replying to as they learn how to *snip* flowers.

With threads as long as some of them on URG, it becomes difficult to follow
when someone top posts as one doesn`t know which answer is being replied to.

Surely it`s easy to hit Reply Group, read through a post from the top and
cut out the irrelevent sections. By this time you are at the bottom of the
post where you put your reply.

Which is exactly what I do. Though I must say I would not insert the
tag "Dross snipped" having deleted the irrelevant text!

Old 29-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Hussein M. contains these words:

Am I about to go into your kill file then? Actually I wouldn't
blame you - if only for the content of many of my messages which do
tend to blather on somewhat. :-(

You said it, (and in only one sentence, which means there's hope for
you yet).

Janet.
Old 30-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:32:01 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Hussein M. contains these words:

Am I about to go into your kill file then? Actually I wouldn't
blame you - if only for the content of many of my messages which do
tend to blather on somewhat. :-(

You said it, (and in only one sentence, which means there's hope for
you yet).

I deserve it because I mean well.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Chelsea 2014, bye bye Alan T. Jeff[_20_] United Kingdom 14 13-11-2013 03:47 PM
Bye, Bye International rates! Now you can call abroad for the priceof a UK call! APNADIAL United Kingdom 0 29-07-2009 05:48 PM
Bye bye Jim Webster Broadback United Kingdom 2 07-06-2007 04:21 PM
Bye Bye Irises Jack Gardening 2 29-10-2006 02:58 PM
Bye Bye Hansa (etc.) Shiva Roses 18 20-03-2003 07:56 PM