Old 30-05-2008, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Joe Swift

I was interested in Joe's new allotment. It was good that he did not
know too much about veg growing before. Many people who take on
allotments have not grown veg before, so he learns as he goes as
others do.
I agree with others that getting a digger on to most allotments is
impossible and not necessarily desirable. Scraping off the top did
not get rid of the weeds, but have you noticed since, that his soil
looks beautiful. I'm sure that as well as the council-made compost,
they had a team of workers digging over and taking out the nasty weed
roots.
He said he paid £68 rent for the year which included the services of
the digger and a huge load of compost.
The annual rent on my allotment has just gone up, after 20 years, fom
£6 to £8. No digger, buy/make your own compost!

Did you hear Joe say on one of the Chelsea progs that he is a trained
archaeologist? Perhaps we should have a new programme; Time Team
meets Gardeneners' World!

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-05-2008, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/5/08 10:50, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:42:01 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

[...]

It could be combined with Silent Witness

"Find something nasty at the bottom of the garden"

In Joe's case it could be a Hyacinth in a Buckett. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-05-2008, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 30/05/08 10:42, Pam Moore wrote:
I was interested in Joe's new allotment. It was good that he did not
know too much about veg growing before. Many people who take on
allotments have not grown veg before, so he learns as he goes as
others do.

I was looking forward with great interest to the allotment feature on GW
as I have taken on a new plot myself. I was looking forward to getting
real practical advice from an expert!!

So, it is NOT good that Joe Swift is the frontman for this as vegetable
growing is not his expertise and he often seems to laugh and sneer at
his fellow allotment holders who have years of advice to offer him which
he seems to treat with disdain. It used to be the case that GW
presenters were experts in their fields!

GW has now degenerated beyond belief and has become just another
lifestyle program like all those cookery programs that teach you nothing.

Worse still, Joe Swift and GW are simply jumping aboard the 'grow your
own' theme that is very current in the UK. But they do not spell out the
reality of taking on an allotment. It is real hard work in the first
year to clear a plot properly and get it anywheres near ready for
cultivation in the second year. (It actually takes even longer.) But
they don't tell that to newbies; they pretend that most regular
allotment holders can simply clear their sites in just 6 weeks and are
ready to go. It is shocking to mislead people, with high hopes, in
the way that they are doing.

I think Joe Swift should be retired from being allotment frontman.
Better to have one of his more experienced neighbours explain the
process. Then maybe we all learn how to do it properly, including Joe.

And does anyone think Joe Swift will still be tending his allotment
after the current series of GW is finished?

Ed

Old 30-05-2008, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
[...]

i think Joe will keep the plot, i find the best experience you can get is by
trying something for yourself and other growers, Joe is doing this. And he
is providing real practical advise .
SNIP
he often seems to laugh and sneer at
his fellow allotment holders who have years of advice to offer him which
he seems to treat with disdain.

I have not felt this at all so i do not know where you have ? If anything he
has had a bit of stick from a boring old fart who is stuck in his ways and
can only grow in rows .
I find it more frustrating when you cannot relate to a program, i.e
makeover programs when they use loads of mature plants that most cannot
compete with or gardens that are that huge it makes you pig sick with envy .

Monty has covered loads about veg growing so think Joe`s project should
inspire and help many people.Veg growing is possibly the easiest, most veg
you just chuck the seed in and away you grow.

Old 30-05-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/5/08 17:04, in article
net, "Ed" ex@directory wrote:

[...]

snip

Ed, I do hope you've sent this to the Beeb, because if you haven't, it won't
make a ha'porth of difference. Please let them have your opinion.

Old 30-05-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote
i think Joe will keep the plot, i find the best experience you can get is
by trying something for yourself and other growers, Joe is doing this. And
he is providing real practical advise .

It is interesting but practical advise, from a learner? Only from his
mistakes.

I have not felt this at all so i do not know where you have ? If anything
he has had a bit of stick from a boring old fart who is stuck in his ways
and can only grow in rows .

Pehaps that guy knows what he's doing and grows in rows for very good
reasons. We would need to see his crops to see if he knows his stuff though.

.

Monty has covered loads about veg growing so think Joe`s project should
inspire and help many people.Veg growing is possibly the easiest, most veg
you just chuck the seed in and away you grow.

Easiest, really!? That is not my experience of veg growing.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-05-2008, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:04:23 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

I think Joe Swift should be retired from being allotment frontman.
Better to have one of his more experienced neighbours explain the
process. Then maybe we all learn how to do it properly, including Joe.

And does anyone think Joe Swift will still be tending his allotment
after the current series of GW is finished?

Have any of you heard the gardener who does a spot on Jeremy Vine's
lunchtime show? I've only heard him a couple of times but they showed
him on his allotment on one of the Chelsea progs I think. Now he
would be really good to tell everyone the secrets of allotment
working.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-05-2008, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote
[...]

My point is Bob is that veg will grow in any size and shape of plot well
enough to supply most with enough green stuff to make them sick of the site
of it by the end of summer.I find that veg is easy to grow, most things
grow, if they don`t then sow again or try something else.
Veg growing is not rocket science and this is what i will miss about Monty
he promoted anyone to give it a go in any situation.

Keith

Old 31-05-2008, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote
[...]

Forgot to add i think he does give practical advise, he has shown how to
create beds, so seed ,buy and put up a second hand shed,onion
sets,garlic,brassicas ,peas this is naming a few.

Old 31-05-2008, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 30/05/08 18:16, keith kent wrote:

Veg growing is possibly the easiest, most veg
you just chuck the seed in and away you grow.

You mean there is no need to dig over and prepare the ground first with
manure/compost/lime or to water, to hoe, to feed, to support large
plants, to thin out overcrowded seedlings, to protect your crops from
predators or frost/wind/sun etc etc?

Yikes!! We're all doing it wrong then on my allotment site; even the
guys with lifetimes of experience!!

Ed

Old 31-05-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
So, it is NOT good that Joe Swift is the frontman for this as vegetable
growing is not his expertise and he often seems to laugh and sneer at
his fellow allotment holders who have years of advice to offer him which
he seems to treat with disdain. It used to be the case that GW
presenters were experts in their fields!

GW has now degenerated beyond belief and has become just another
lifestyle program like all those cookery programs that teach you
nothing.

snip

Ed, I do hope you've sent this to the Beeb, because if you haven't, it
won't
make a ha'porth of difference. Please let them have your opinion.

Yes. I have written to BBC about this and the current general demise of
GW.

Good - my vote would be for Rachel D.T. - she is more than welcome to garden
my world every week !
I am not to enthusiastic about the lady that sounds like she heralds from up
Blackburn way
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
On 30/05/08 18:16, keith kent wrote:

Veg growing is possibly the easiest, most veg you just chuck the seed in
and away you grow.

You mean there is no need to dig over and prepare the ground first with
manure/compost/lime or to water, to hoe, to feed, to support large
plants, to thin out overcrowded seedlings, to protect your crops from
predators or frost/wind/sun etc etc?

Yikes!! We're all doing it wrong then on my allotment site; even the guys
with lifetimes of experience!!

Ed
You are taking my quote literally,

Maybe you are letting it get to you when it should be a enjoyable
experience.All of the points above i find easy and enjoyable after all it is
gardening.
Maybe you are taken too much on.You cannot beat the no dig raised beds,like
Joes.
Once the preperation is done they almost look after themselves, apart from
weeding & some added compost once a year .

And i would say only grow what you will & can eat, i went the full hog one
year and turned 50ft x 18ft of my garden into a veg patch but i had
tooooooooo much and most veg went to waste.
I suppose i fell in love with the idea more than the reality.

Regards Keith

Gardeners World. Allotments and Joe Swift Ed United Kingdom 8 30-05-2008 12:31 AM
Swift orchids GOOB DVardner Orchids 14 29-10-2005 07:35 AM
ball winder & swift recommendations Laura J Gardening 1 28-10-2004 09:40 PM
Barley pads ? { Joe }JOE JOE JOE Mary kate Ponds 1 16-06-2004 11:09 PM
Swift orchids GOOB DVardner Orchids 0 21-02-2004 05:22 AM