Old 30-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered User

Unhappy fig tree

I have a three year old fig tree...The last two years I had some figs, which did not ripen, but fell off when they were quite small... What am I .doing wrong?
Old 31-05-2008, 12:18 AM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaara View Post
I have a three year old fig tree...The last two years I had some figs, which did not ripen, but fell off when they were quite small... What am I .doing wrong?
its will depend on where you live

they do have a cold hardiness tempe about 10 -20 deg Fahrenheit
when you have just planted they need to be well watered. after its once in while and esp' during drought seasons
Old 31-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaara View Post
I have a three year old fig tree...The last two years I had some figs, which did not ripen, but fell off when they were quite small... What am I .doing wrong?
Is your fig in a warm, sunny spot? Are the roots well constricted?

Fruit dropping off when small are those which were formed in the spring, which will not develop. It is the tiny buds that develop in the late summer that will grow into fruit the following year. In summer, pinch out new growth at five or six leaves to encourage the development of the embryo figs that will form next year’s crop.
Old 31-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Is your fig in a warm, sunny spot? Are the roots well constricted?

Fruit dropping off when small are those which were formed in the spring, which will not develop. It is the tiny buds that develop in the late summer that will grow into fruit the following year. In summer, pinch out new growth at five or six leaves to encourage the development of the embryo figs that will form next year’s crop.
the roots are well constricted..Many thanks to all who have tried to help..
Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fig tree

The message
from solaara contains these words:

I have a three year old fig tree...The last two years I had some figs,
which did not ripen, but fell off when they were quite small... What
am I .doing wrong?

Probably, nothing.

Figs generally have three crops a year, and two of them get hootered by
the cold weather.

Just have patience, if it is a variety which doesn't need the little
wasp which fertilises many Mediterranian or sub-tropical varieties.

Brown Turkey is the best-known fig which will ripen here, and I believe
that other ones are closely related to that.

Ideally, you bury a container in the ground - something like the
stainless steel drum of a washing machine or tumble dryer, fill it with
soil and grow it in that.

Otherwise, the tree takes over. (Mine is in an old bath, and it's four
years old, and I had pounds of figs last year.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig