GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175236-runner-beans.html)

mark 31-05-2008 12:06 AM

Runner Beans

Finally got around to putting them out a couple of days ago.
I've been trying to train them to climb up canes, ie., winding first couple
of turns for them.
Do they prefer anti or clockwise or don't they mind?

mark

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_176_] 31-05-2008 08:13 AM

Runner Beans

"mark" wrote in message
et...
Finally got around to putting them out a couple of days ago.
I've been trying to train them to climb up canes, ie., winding first
couple of turns for them.
Do they prefer anti or clockwise or don't they mind?

mark

they only go one way which is anti clockwise as you look down at them. Best
not to twirl them until they're a bit longer though in case they snap off

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

scullsterhome 31-05-2008 09:13 PM

Runner Beans

"mark" wrote

Finally got around to putting them out a couple of days ago.
I've been trying to train them to climb up canes, ie., winding first
couple of turns for them.
Do they prefer anti or clockwise or don't they mind?

If they are in an exposed location, **loosely** tie them to the canes to
prevent breakage in strong winds.
They will then twine up the canes of their own accord.

Phil