Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Rutherglen, Nr Glasgow Scotland
Talking how to move a California Lilac

I there friends )
My first post here (or any other gardening site!) so, a big hello and can you help??
I have a California Lilac I bought from Woolworths here in Rutherglen, Scotland last year when it was very small. This year it has had a huge growth spurt (about 3/4 times the size it was when planted). It doesn't look quite right were I put it. I wish to move it about 1 & a half to 2 feet and turn it around slightly so that it has more growth space (its against my garden hut) and make it look better. When is the best time to move it, if it can be moved because growth/planting instructions when bought said it's roots do not like to be disturbed? Hoping in anticipation.
yours
James
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Registered User

Location: Rutherglen, Nr Glasgow Scotland
Talking

thanks for the replies friends )
the messages from both Sacha & Steve are excellent and give great information. I'm tempted to lift it right away but don't want to lose the beautiful flowers on it just now so I'll think I will just wait until the autumn and then do the big lift. You know, this is an excellent site and looking through the other posts I've found lots of very practical help - just brilliant.

I might even take a photo of another shrub/bush and post a link to it to ask if anyone knows what it is - but at a later date.
again, thanks for the help guys see you later )

James

California Lilac looks like it is dying :( Goldlexus Gardening 19 11-08-2019 01:49 PM
Comfrey -- to move or not move... FragileWarrior Gardening 7 16-08-2007 03:27 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
lilac Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 01-04-2003 02:34 AM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 12:50 AM