GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   being a good wife :-) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175527-being-good-wife.html)

Kate Morgan 04-06-2008 03:54 PM

being a good wife :-)

Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- I still think
its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

Mary Fisher 04-06-2008 03:55 PM

being a good wife :-)

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea,

WHY?

Perhaps it's a man thing, he needs something to grumble about :-)

Mary

John E[_2_] 04-06-2008 03:59 PM

being a good wife :-)

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- I still
think its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

Which? did a review recently. For the details you need to be a subscriber,
but this is on public view he
http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_c...557_137702.jsp

"Hand powered mowers make less noise and cost practically nothing to run –
just what they cost to maintain.
And though they may involve slightly more physical effort from the gardener,
many models are lighter than a fuel-powered mower, and just as quick.
Which? Gardening rated the Husqvarna Novocut hand mower - £80 - as a Best
Buy model for medium-sized lawns , while the £95 Brill Razorcut Premium was
a Best Buy for small lawns.
Ceri Thomas, editor of Which? Gardening, said: ‘People seem to be keen to
return to more traditional methods of gardening.
'If you need any more reasons to try them out, they are also quieter,
cheaper, and help you keep fit into the bargain!’"

John

dr 04-06-2008 04:07 PM

being a good wife :-)

Kate Morgan wrote:

Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- I still
think its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

I bought a Qualcast panther recently, about ~£35 ish I think, thus far it's
been great. So light you lift with one hand, put it on the ground and push,
no leads, no petrol no worries. The cut has been superb (though this is a
brand new blade of course) and it's just so easy.

One small note, it does jam easily on the smallest twigs, and the box isn't
great for collecting the cuttings. I tend to use it now without the box,
and then rake it's faster than keep stopping. I can now do the front lawn
in a fraction of the time it took to use the electric hover.

Duncan

Judith in France 04-06-2008 05:55 PM

being a good wife :-)

On Jun 4, 3:54 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- I still think
its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

Kate I had a small Qualcast hand mower at my last house as the sit on
one couldn't get into certain areas, I found it light and easy for
small areas.

Judith

Kate Morgan 05-06-2008 09:17 AM

being a good wife :-)

Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- I still
think
its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

Kate I had a small Qualcast hand mower at my last house as the sit on
one couldn't get into certain areas, I found it light and easy for
small areas.

Judith

Thanks all, looks like the Qualcast has won for ease of use and price :-) I
will leave Sir to sit on his sit on :-)

Ornata 05-06-2008 10:08 AM

being a good wife :-)

On 4 Jun, 17:55, Judith in France wrote:
On Jun 4, 3:54 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:

Husband muttering about how much petrol he is using to mow the lawns, I
offered to use a push mower to do the smaller ones, he didn't laugh but I
got the impression that he didn't think it was a good idea, I went off
muttering about how some of us could use the exercise-------- *I still think
its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

kate

Kate I had a small Qualcast hand mower at my last house as the sit on
one couldn't get into certain areas, I found it light and easy for
small areas.

Judith

Are hand mowers any good on damp grass and/or heavy soil? I love the
idea of one but suspect it would just cut gashes in my muddy excuse
for a lawn.

JakeD[_6_] 05-06-2008 08:31 PM

being a good wife :-)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:54:36 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I still think
its a good idea can anyone recommend a cheapish push mower ?

Maybe an illegal immigrant? (-;

JD