Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is anywhere in the UK slug & snail free?

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:13:55 +0100, JakeD
wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

Somewhere where it hasn't rained for a few weeks?

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.

I did not know they had gardens in Ardwick!

How about the sandier the soil the fewer the slugs and snails around as a
general rule ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.

It hasn't rained for a few days, mind. Give it a downpour and I reckon
you'll see some!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 3:19 pm, Amethyst Deceiver wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.

It hasn't rained for a few days, mind. Give it a downpour and I reckon
you'll see some!

-no rain here in Dublin for weeks and not a slug or snail in sight.
-Rained yesterday and garden is ALIVE with them. They are probably
all starving and annoyed too so have to watch it.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Des Higgins writes:

| -no rain here in Dublin for weeks and not a slug or snail in sight.
| -Rained yesterday and garden is ALIVE with them. They are probably
| all starving and annoyed too so have to watch it.

So if we don't hear from you again, we shall know why?

Those Irish molluscs are real mean critters - Molly Malone tangled
up with them, and we know what happened to her!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jun 2008 14:43:16 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Those Irish molluscs are real mean critters -

The one that freaked me out was one I saw in Germany. In someone's
cellar in Bavaria: a snail the size of my fist!

Needless to say, I won't be moving there!

JD
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:07:12 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.

I did not know they had gardens in Ardwick!

I did have slugs in the first garden I had in Ardwick but I also had
gits falling from the flats above, vomit, cans of lager and allsorts
of other detritus.

My second garden was so overgrown when I got it I think the slugs had
all perished because there was nothing nice to eat. I never saw a
snail in either though.

Here over in Oldham though I have snails a plenty though and lots of
empty shells.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:30:33 +0100, Mogga

wrote:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD

There were none in my garden in Ardwick.

I did not know they had gardens in Ardwick!

I did have slugs in the first garden I had in Ardwick but I also had
gits falling from the flats above, vomit, cans of lager and allsorts
of other detritus.

My second garden was so overgrown when I got it I think the slugs had
all perished because there was nothing nice to eat. I never saw a
snail in either though.

Here over in Oldham though I have snails a plenty though and lots of
empty shells.

How about the sandier the soil the fewer the slugs and snails around as a
general rule ?

There are plenty of slugs here in a country which is 95% sand.
--

Didn't realise you were in Arabia now, Martin.

Pete

Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeD[_6_] View Post
Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that is not teeming with slugs
& snails? Or are they ubiquitous in our British climate?

Thanks,

JD
We have the French to thank for the snails.

A friend suggested a garlic spray as a deterrent.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if there's a connection?

Pete