GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Source of Mushroom Compost/Manure - Hull Area (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175546-source-mushroom-compost-manure-hull-area.html)

TheScullster 05-06-2008 08:56 AM

Source of Mushroom Compost/Manure - Hull Area

Hi all

Just discovered that a previous source of spent mushroom compost has closed
down.
Used this stuff to improve soil before planting hedging and all the plants
have survived and thrived.

Can anyone direct me to a source of cheap spent mushroom compost or manure
or anything that will help recondition soil before planting?
West Hull would be good, but anywhere reasonably local would do. Quite
happy to pay delivery charge or do multiple car trips as necessary.
Where do local allotment users source this stuff.
The volume of compost I am creating simply won't be enough.

TIA

Phil

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² 05-06-2008 09:29 AM

Source of Mushroom Compost/Manure - Hull Area

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:56:06 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Hi all

Just discovered that a previous source of spent mushroom compost has closed
down.
Used this stuff to improve soil before planting hedging and all the plants
have survived and thrived.

Can anyone direct me to a source of cheap spent mushroom compost or manure
or anything that will help recondition soil before planting?
West Hull would be good, but anywhere reasonably local would do. Quite
happy to pay delivery charge or do multiple car trips as necessary.
Where do local allotment users source this stuff.

This year I am using Clavering Horse manure (Made from spent mushroom
compost) It was fairly cheap and I've found it very good.
Don't know if it's available on-line but I found it in a local garden
centre (South Wales)
Might be worth checking out garden centres near you.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Anthony 05-06-2008 02:00 PM

Source of Mushroom Compost/Manure - Hull Area

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Just discovered that a previous source of spent mushroom compost has
closed down.
Used this stuff to improve soil before planting hedging and all the
plants have survived and thrived.

Can anyone direct me to a source of cheap spent mushroom compost or manure
or anything that will help recondition soil before planting?
West Hull would be good, but anywhere reasonably local would do. Quite
happy to pay delivery charge or do multiple car trips as necessary.
Where do local allotment users source this stuff.
The volume of compost I am creating simply won't be enough.
TIA
Phil

Try http://www.dandys.org
they do 1 tonne bags, there is a postcode checker to work out the price.
HTH
Anthony

Mark[_8_] 08-06-2008 04:49 PM

"Anthony" wrote in message

[...]

Wickes has a good offer on at the moment: 4 x 75L bags of compost for £10.
Works out considerably cheaper than Dandy's bulk bags, as far as I can work
out, especially if you have a branch nearby..

Mark