GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/175855-plant-id-please.html)

Lenny 13-06-2008 08:27 PM

Plant ID Please

This plant is growing in my mothers garden but we dont know what type it is as we did not plant it,Will it come back every year and does it come in different colours !!!!! and of course what is it called ?.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120004.jpg

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-06-2008 08:58 PM

Plant ID Please

In message , Lenny
writes

This plant is growing in my mothers garden but we dont know what type
it
is as we did not plant it,Will it come back every year and does it come
in different colours !!!!! and of course what is it called ?.
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../P6120001.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../P6120006.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../P6120004.jpg]

I think that it's the plant I think of turban flower, but which is
commonly called Persian buttercup. The botanical name is Ranunculus
asiaticus, and what you've shown us is the double-flowered form. It does
come in many colours.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

beccabunga 13-06-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 798020)
This plant is growing in my mothers garden but we dont know what type it is as we did not plant it,Will it come back every year and does it come in different colours !!!!! and of course what is it called ?.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/P6120004.jpg

It is a Ranunculus asiaticus - a beautiful one at that.

It has a corm and will come up every year.

Lenny 13-06-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 798022)
It is a Ranunculus asiaticus - a beautiful one at that.

It has a corm and will come up every year.

Does it have a common name !!

beccabunga 13-06-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 798026)
Does it have a common name !!

Ranunculus!

You may find it called "Persian buttercup" or "Turban buttercup" but to be honest I have never heard it called anything by ranunculus.

beccabunga 13-06-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 798026)
Does it have a common name !!

I keep forgetting to say - yes, it also comes in red, yellow, pink and variations on all these. Gorgeous flowers. Once of the old "florists' flowers" grown and developed by working men in the 19th century.

Lenny 14-06-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 798029)
I keep forgetting to say - yes, it also comes in red, yellow, pink and variations on all these. Gorgeous flowers. Once of the old "florists' flowers" grown and developed by working men in the 19th century.

Thanks very much for that information i will now go forth and look for them as i would like to grow some other coloures ,Do you know what time is best for planting them .
thanks
Lenny

beccabunga 14-06-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 798087)
Thanks very much for that information i will now go forth and look for them as i would like to grow some other coloures ,Do you know what time is best for planting them .
thanks
Lenny

You may find some left but it is getting a bit late. They are planted in the spring, and will be coming into the garden centres/nurseries when the summer bulbs come in.

Here is the RHS's information for you: http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/Publi...ranunculus.htm