Old 21-06-2008, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting card and cardboard question

Out council has recently gone from a 2 bin (garden rubbish and general
rubbish)to a three bin system (recyclables added). I rejected the garden
bin as I shred and compost everything. Now however they have decided
that card and cardboard must go in the garden bin.
Having just upgraded from plastic compost bins to three, roughly 1 cubic
meter wooden ones, I have plenty of room for the card. Incidentally the
new compost bins are proving far more efficient than the old. So how do
I compost the card and cardboard? I already compost shredded paper, but
in the plastic bins that takes a long time to decompose. Do I need to
cut large sheets up, also do I wet it thoroughly before placing in the
composters, any tips most welcome?

Old 21-06-2008, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
Out council has recently gone from a 2 bin (garden rubbish and general
rubbish)to a three bin system (recyclables added). I rejected the
garden bin as I shred and compost everything. Now however they have
decided that card and cardboard must go in the garden bin.
Having just upgraded from plastic compost bins to three, roughly 1
cubic meter wooden ones, I have plenty of room for the card.
Incidentally the new compost bins are proving far more efficient than
the old. So how do I compost the card and cardboard? I already compost
shredded paper, but in the plastic bins that takes a long time to
decompose. Do I need to cut large sheets up, also do I wet it
thoroughly before placing in the composters, any tips most welcome?

I have 3 x 1 cu m wooden bins. I just add cardboard as it is. If the
weather is dry, I try to wet it, otherwise don't worry as I don't cover
the bins. Cardboard boxes compost well. Shiny cardboard (eg cereal
packets) takes longer - when I'm using the compost I may come across a
dense wadge of cereal packets (usually where I've put several inside
each other before adding to the heap - the heap's a long way from the
back door and we're all lazy about taking stuff down) with the layers of
cardboard sandwiched together with thick layers of worms. I just chuck
it back on to the next heap.

It's worth removing any sellotape or parcel tape before you put stuff on
the heap - it won't rot, and it's a nuisance to get out later as it
wraps itself around everything. And beware 'cardboard' drinks cartons -
they have a sneaky interlining of plastic.

So, to summarise. I don't think cutting up helps, but it is probably
useful not to have too many layers of shiny cardboard together. It is
worth wetting it.

And it makes very good compost.
--
Kay
Old 22-06-2008, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Broadback writes
[...]

Many thanks both for your helpful and definitive replies.