GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cucumber and braod bean problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176245-cucumber-braod-bean-problem.html)

Jonathan[_3_] 24-06-2008 10:29 AM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

Both my cucumber plant and several broad beans plants apear to be
wilting and dying. I can see no sign of pests. Does anyone have any
ideas? I don't think I have been overwatering but I suppose it is
possible.

Thanks
Jonathan

Nick Maclaren 24-06-2008 12:28 PM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

In article ,
Jonathan writes:
| Both my cucumber plant and several broad beans plants apear to be
| wilting and dying. I can see no sign of pests. Does anyone have any
| ideas? I don't think I have been overwatering but I suppose it is
| possible.

Some of my broad beans are yellow and not thriving - it's some kind
of root-rot, probably caused by the wet. I doubt that there is
anything you or I can do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jonathan[_3_] 24-06-2008 01:35 PM

Rusty Hinge 2 24-06-2008 07:38 PM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

The message
from Jonathan contains these words:

Both my cucumber plant and several broad beans plants apear to be
wilting and dying. I can see no sign of pests. Does anyone have any
ideas? I don't think I have been overwatering but I suppose it is
possible.

Several possibilities:

1) moles undermining them in their search for worms, which will be
attracted by your watering;
2) unlikely, but vine weevils;
3) leatherjackets or wireworms

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Bertie Doe 24-06-2008 09:07 PM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown. Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

Bertie

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² 24-06-2008 10:30 PM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:07:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown. Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

How far north are you?

My three cucs are 4' tall in an unheated greenhouse and I leave the
top windows open all night. They are rampant, covered in flowers
and with cucs almost ready to pick. They were grown from seed.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
]

Bertie Doe 24-06-2008 10:48 PM

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:07:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown.
Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

How far north are you?

My three cucs are 4' tall in an unheated greenhouse and I leave the
top windows open all night. They are rampant, covered in flowers
and with cucs almost ready to pick. They were grown from seed.

A bit exposed here at 500 feet amsl facing East. I can just see the tops of
the tors on Dartmoor to the East. If I was on the coast, I'd be ok.

Bertie

Bertie Doe 25-06-2008 12:27 AM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:07:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown.
Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

We were given a full grown marrow today.
--

Martin

Was it grown in the uk? What's the catch/punchline?

Bertie

Bertie Doe 25-06-2008 10:22 AM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:27:38 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:07:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature
at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown.
Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

We were given a full grown marrow today.
--

Martin

That is good. I don't usually crop mine till late summer. Well, not exactly
'marrows' as such, but courgettes that have been overlooked.

Bertie

Was it grown in the uk? What's the catch/punchline?

It was grown on an allotment in Zuid Holland where the climate is similar
parts of UK. When I was a kid marrows were an August thing up north.
--

Martin

Bertie Doe 25-06-2008 08:52 PM

Cucumber and braod bean problem

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:22:16 +0100, "Bertie Doe"

. ..

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:07:29 +0100, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

My greenhouse cucumbers are struggling, due to the drop in temperature
at
night. I bought them 5 weeks ago at 6" high and they've hardly grown.
Other
allotmenteers are having same problem, regardless of variety.

We were given a full grown marrow today.

That is good. I don't usually crop mine till late summer. Well, not
exactly
'marrows' as such, but courgettes that have been overlooked.

This is a full sized marrow, one of many.
--

Could do with a week of sunshine. Long range forecast indicates we'll have
to wait till the 1st July.

Bertie