GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Self-strangling freak tomato (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176248-self-strangling-freak-tomato.html)

echinosum 24-06-2008 06:37 PM

Self-strangling freak tomato

An odd flower formed around the main leading shoot of a tomato plant. With rather more than the normal number of petals, it completely surrounded the main leading shoot, with a tuft of leaves sticking out of the middle. A deformed tomato (with irregular deep ribbing) has now formed there, with a tuft of leaves sticking out from the end of it. But the leader is not growing any more, and the whole plant has not gained in height. It hasn't produced any other flowers.

Is this a common phenomenon? Would it be any better if we cut off the freak tomato? Or should I just wait and enjoy the one tomato this plant looks like it will produce?

Rusty Hinge 2 24-06-2008 09:06 PM

Self-strangling freak tomato

The message
from echinosum contains these words:

Is this a common phenomenon? Would it be any better if we cut off the
freak tomato? Or should I just wait and enjoy the one tomato this plant
looks like it will produce?

Certainly not common - photos?

If you haven't got a website, I'll put it/them up for you.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

echinosum 26-06-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 800081)
An odd flower formed around the main leading shoot of a tomato plant. ... It hasn't produced any other flowers.

Actually I see it has now flowered a bit and set a few more normal fruit, so perhaps it isn't such a problem, apart from getting a very funny-shaped plant that won' tbe very easy to support.