Old 25-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Steve Harris

Default What I've learnt about Radishes

1. The amount of foliage is a VERY poor guide to the progress of the
bulb.

2. The ones I planted mid-January under cloches produced much more
foliage than later ones. I've just had a large and tender "Saxa" sown
early March with only about 3" leaves.

3. With the round ones, push the leaves to one side to see the top of
the bulb bulging out of the soil. Very easy to estimate the size of the
whole bulb

4. With a round one like Saxa, the leaves, bulb and stringy root are
clearly defined and easy in the kitchen.

5. "Long White Icicle" does taste nicer but lacks all the practical
advantages mentioned above.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:23 PM
The Devil's Advocate

My favourite is French Breakfast and they need quicker growth in warmer soil
for a tender, snappy radish lol

:
: 2. The ones I planted mid-January under cloches produced much more
: foliage than later ones. I've just had a large and tender "Saxa" sown
: early March with only about 3" leaves.
:
: 3. With the round ones, push the leaves to one side to see the top of
: the bulb bulging out of the soil. Very easy to estimate the size of
: the whole bulb
:
: 4. With a round one like Saxa, the leaves, bulb and stringy root are
: clearly defined and easy in the kitchen.
:
: 5. "Long White Icicle" does taste nicer but lacks all the practical
: advantages mentioned above.
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com

Old 26-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Little Badger

I'm growing one called Rats Tail!
It has pods that you can eat, will report when I harvest!

Badger

Old 27-04-2003, 10:56 PM

I'm growing one called Rats Tail!

I'm growing this one as well. It's storming up in height right now.....

Best,

- h

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 06:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 05:10 PM
What I've learnt about Thymus Vulgaris Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 08:45 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 26-03-2003 12:20 AM