Old 25-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Wheelbarrows?

My 30 year old metal wheelbarrow is beging to tell me that it's come to the
end of it's usefull life, it was a proper builders barrow.

I'd like to get another but I want something decent not the sort of crap you
usually find in garden centres or diy shops.

Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Alan

Old 25-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Robert

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

http://www.easybarrow.co.uk/wheelbarrows.htm
--
Robert
Old 25-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Gary Woods

"Alan Holmes" wrote:

I'd like to get another but I want something decent not the sort of crap you
usually find in garden centres or diy shops.

Does somebody sell those big-box plywood on bicycle wheels (the
old-fashioned fat "American" ones) in the U.K. ? Not as narrow a track of
course, but they carry heavy loads and large volumes with ease. Mine was a
piece of junk; only lasted 30 years and a couple of plywood replacements
before I had to buy another. I've actually seen some substantial looking
ones of the "traditional" style with heavy-duty plastic bins that ought to
outlast metal. I'm gradually getting over my disdain for plastic.

Sunny coat-free day finally! Back outdoors!

Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:27:04 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

...it was a proper builders barrow.

snip
Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Er, the obvious place, a Builders merchant?

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 25-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:27:04 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

...it was a proper builders barrow.

snip
Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Er, the obvious place, a Builders merchant?

That's where we get ours. Large green metal ones with big pneumatic
type tires. I bet they're not as good as the ones you could get 30
years ago though - but still better than garden centre ones.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

Old 25-04-2003, 10:08 PM
ned

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:27:04 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

...it was a proper builders barrow.

snip
Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Er, the obvious place, a Builders merchant?

Yep. ;-)
That's where I acquired my second one.
Metal barrow.
Pneumatic tyre. Easy to manoeuvre. But steer clear of hawthorn
clippings.
;-)

--
ned

Old 25-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Mike

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:27:04 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

...it was a proper builders barrow.

snip
Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Er, the obvious place, a Builders merchant?

Hope you do better than we did then! Went to a Builders Merchants,
lovely looking barrow, inflated tyre, long handles which makes it easier
to lift and control, nice colour green.

Problem? Metalwork not cleaned and primed. Dip painted(?) on bare metal
which was already rusty. Large flakes of paint soon hanging off and very
very rusty now. After 2 years :-((

The Walsall Wheelbarrow Company Birmingham

Be warned.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim W

Gary Woods wrote:

I'd like to get another but I want something decent not the sort of crap you
usually find in garden centres or diy shops.

Does somebody sell those big-box plywood on bicycle wheels (the
old-fashioned fat "American" ones) in the U.K. ? Not as narrow a track of
course, but they carry heavy loads and large volumes with ease. Mine was a
piece of junk; only lasted 30 years and a couple of plywood replacements
before I had to buy another. I've actually seen some substantial looking
ones of the "traditional" style with heavy-duty plastic bins that ought to
outlast metal. I'm gradually getting over my disdain for plastic.

Not sure what you mean about the 'bicyle wheels' but lbs-group.co.uk do
a range of Horticultural trucks.
Most large establishements use variants of that simply for the volume of
material they produce.
//
Jim
Old 25-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:03:16 +0100, ned wrote:

But steer clear of hawthorn clippings.
;-)

I've heard that a treatment with emergency tyre inflation things that
you can get from car accessory shops sorts that one out.

Old 25-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Dave Liquorice say...
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:03:16 +0100, ned wrote:

But steer clear of hawthorn clippings.
;-)

I've heard that a treatment with emergency tyre inflation things that
you can get from car accessory shops sorts that one out.

Unfortunately, it hadn't been invented in 1970 when my bro burst his
World Cup foopball within 20 minutes of getting it home. Hawthorn
hedges are nasty for biting foopballs.
--
Fenny
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:07:24 +0100, Mike wrote:

Problem? Metalwork not cleaned and primed. Dip painted(?) on bare
metal which was already rusty. Large flakes of paint soon hanging
off and veryvery rusty now. After 2 years :-((

Rust not apparent under the paint when you inspected prior to purchase
then?

If it's made of reasonable thickness metal, so that the rust doesn't
weaken it. Spend a day scraping off the loose paint, applying some
Hammerite Kurust and a couple of coats of Hammerite paint. Last for
ever then.

Old 26-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Simon Avery

"Alan Holmes" wrote:

Hello Alan

AH My 30 year old metal wheelbarrow is beging to tell me that
AH it's come to the end of it's usefull life, it was a proper
AH builders barrow.

Best sort.

AH I'd like to get another but I want something decent not the
AH sort of crap you usually find in garden centres or diy
AH shops.
AH Where can I go to find the sort of barrow I'm looking for?

Agricultural merchants or building suppliers.

Anywhere from 15ukp to 40ukp for a metal bodied, pneumatical tyred
barrow. Like everything, modern ones aren't built as good as they used
to be and the black-painted bodied ones rust out much faster than a
fully galvanised one. Those last about two years of daily use in our
stables. Galvy last 4 years or so.

Old 27-04-2003, 09:56 PM

My 30 year old metal wheelbarrow is beging to tell me that it's come to
the
end of it's usefull life, it was a proper builders barrow.

So now think of ways it can live in a new life. I converted my old 'barrow
to a large planter which I leave on the bit of lawn I have. When I get
around to mowing it, I can move the wheelbarrow-planter very easily ;-)

I'd like to get another but I want something decent not the sort of crap

you
usually find in garden centres or diy shops.

I got a 'decent' one from Wickes. 4 days after I bought it, my
brother-in-law asked to borrow it. Ok, I said naively. A week later, it
comes back looking like it had been dragged behind a truck doing 70 mph down
the motorway. It was trashed. Apparently, he used it to move a whole load of
brick rubble around ;-(

Best,

- h