GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedging Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176287-hedging-plant-id-please.html)

TheScullster 25-06-2008 08:38 AM

Hedging Plant ID Please

Hi all

Sorry no pics but I was out walking last night and saw a plant used in
hedging that was rather appealing.
The hedge was neatly clipped to about 4' high and 2' wide.
The foliage looked like miniature holly leaves approx 10mm long x 5mm wide
(apologies for mixed units).
There were clusters of light cream coloured round berries about 4mm diameter
which were turning pale blue.

Any ideas please?

TIA

Phil

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-06-2008 10:17 AM

Hedging Plant ID Please

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

Sorry no pics but I was out walking last night and saw a plant used in
hedging that was rather appealing.
The hedge was neatly clipped to about 4' high and 2' wide.
The foliage looked like miniature holly leaves approx 10mm long x 5mm wide
(apologies for mixed units).
There were clusters of light cream coloured round berries about 4mm diameter
which were turning pale blue.

Any ideas please?

TIA

Phil

Possible a Berberis - Berberis darwinii seems the best match. If so, the
berries will change colour as they mature.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-06-2008 10:27 AM

Hedging Plant ID Please

In article ,
says...
Hi all

Sorry no pics but I was out walking last night and saw a plant used in
hedging that was rather appealing.
The hedge was neatly clipped to about 4' high and 2' wide.
The foliage looked like miniature holly leaves approx 10mm long x 5mm wide
(apologies for mixed units).
There were clusters of light cream coloured round berries about 4mm diameter
which were turning pale blue.

Any ideas please?

TIA

Phil

Berberis, probably dawinii (has orange flowers in spring and again in
autumn
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk