GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange things on a beach id (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176288-strange-things-beach-id.html)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-06-2008 10:35 AM

Strange things on a beach id

I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-06-2008 11:28 AM

Strange things on a beach id

In article ,
lid says...
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:35:49 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was donkey crap.

I have to say it does look like a dung beetle ball but the marine
location and sheer number suggests there are not enough donkeys!! but
thanks for pointing out that they are not confined to spain

Emery Davis[_2_] 25-06-2008 11:44 AM

Strange things on a beach id

Charlie Pridham wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

Krinoid seeds. Do not plant! ;)

-E

mogga 25-06-2008 11:46 AM

Strange things on a beach id

In article ,
wrote:

I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was donkey crap.

I have to say it does look like a dung beetle ball but the marine
location and sheer number suggests there are not enough donkeys!! but
thanks for pointing out that they are not confined to spain

Just shown pic to OH, after saying someone suggested donkey poo
ah... that'd work. if it started off meshed and sticky, and was washed
clean... yes, it looks quite like what I assumed was camel poo in
tunisia

or maybe it's a secret trial of the new shape shredded wheat

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

[email protected] 25-06-2008 12:06 PM

Strange things on a beach id

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was donkey crap.
--

Martin

Are there enough donkeys
Irish

K 25-06-2008 03:06 PM

Strange things on a beach id

writes

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was
donkey crap.
--

Are there enough donkeys

It's an aquatic plant, Posidonia oceanica. Looks like underwater grass.
The dead leaves are torn off by the surf and rolled into balls.
--
Kay

Amethyst Deceiver 25-06-2008 03:44 PM

Strange things on a beach id

In article ,
says...
writes

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was
donkey crap.
--

Are there enough donkeys

It's an aquatic plant, Posidonia oceanica. Looks like underwater grass.
The dead leaves are torn off by the surf and rolled into balls.

Kewl - we saw the same things, also in Spain, and had been wondering!

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-06-2008 06:06 PM

Strange things on a beach id

In article ,
says...
writes

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was
donkey crap.
--

Are there enough donkeys

It's an aquatic plant, Posidonia oceanica. Looks like underwater grass.
The dead leaves are torn off by the surf and rolled into balls.

Many thanks for that K, mystery solved and not a donkey in sight :~)

Dave Hill 26-06-2008 12:01 PM

Strange things on a beach id

On 25 Jun, 18:06, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

writes

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was
donkey crap.
--

Are there enough donkeys

It's an aquatic plant, Posidonia oceanica. Looks like underwater grass.
The dead leaves are torn off by the surf and rolled into balls.

Many thanks for that K, mystery solved and not a donkey in sight :~)

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I was under the impression that they were Camel droppings.
Ah well you live and learn
Dave Hill
Abacus Nurseries