GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   $%*X$! Cats (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176402-%24%25%2Ax%24-cats.html)

Astral Voyager 28-06-2008 11:42 PM

$%*X$! Cats

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads 'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with my
view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Mel.

--
http://www.ebid.net
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Sacha[_3_] 28-06-2008 11:51 PM

$%*X$! Cats

On 28/6/08 22:42, in article , "Astral
Voyager" wrote:

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads 'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with my
view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Mel.

Water is the best deterrent. Either get yourself a water pistol or find a
device that sets off a water jet as a cat walks past it - warn the family!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Ðave 29-06-2008 12:02 AM

$%*X$! Cats

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads
'Public Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up
their mess (I thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with
my view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

I'm sure if that is your opinion then a lot of people wouldn't mind shooting
you

Astral Voyager 29-06-2008 04:42 AM

$%*X$! Cats

"Ðave" wrote:

I'm sure if that is your opinion then a lot of people wouldn't mind
shooting you

Quite a few have tried and two have succeeded.

Mel.

Pete C[_2_] 29-06-2008 09:12 AM

$%*X$! Cats

Sacha wrote:
On 28/6/08 22:42, in article ,
"Astral Voyager" wrote:

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads
'Public Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing
up their mess (I thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree
with my view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Mel.

Water is the best deterrent. Either get yourself a water pistol or
find a device that sets off a water jet as a cat walks past it - warn
the family!

http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm
HTH :)
--
Pete C
London UK

shazzbat 29-06-2008 10:58 AM

$%*X$! Cats

"Ðave" wrote:

I'm sure if that is your opinion then a lot of people wouldn't mind
shooting you

Quite a few have tried and two have succeeded.

Someone here wants to see you....

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0stuff/Tom.jpg

Steve

Kate Morgan 29-06-2008 11:20 AM

$%*X$! Cats

e:

I'm sure if that is your opinion then a lot of people wouldn't mind
shooting you

Quite a few have tried and two have succeeded.

Someone here wants to see you....

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0stuff/Tom.jpg

Steve

LOL brilly, I love it :-)

kate

Rusty Hinge 2 29-06-2008 12:06 PM

$%*X$! Cats

The message
from "Astral Voyager" contains these words:

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads 'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their
mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with my
view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Sprinkle a little aluminium ammonium sulphate on the affected areas.

It's not expensive, and you can order (say) 500g or so from a good
chemist, or look in the Yellow Pages for a chemical distributor (such as
Hay's), and they will supply it.

It's quite harmless, and its constituents when degraded are beneficial
to plants, or of no detriment to them.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Judith in France 29-06-2008 01:21 PM

$%*X$! Cats

On Jun 28, 10:42 pm, "Astral Voyager" wrote:
Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads 'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with my
view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Mel.

--http://www.ebid.net
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Mel, try moth balls broken up into small pieces and scattered around
the garden, it worked for me.

Judith

beccabunga 29-06-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astral Voyager (Post 800822)
Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

--
http://www.ebid.net
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Don't have beds with open space in them. Grow plants close together. Don't have lovely soft earth for animals to dig in.

You are not helping yourself if you have lots of open space in your flower beds.

I'll bet your neighbours don't have lovely neat flowersbeds.

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² 29-06-2008 03:42 PM

$%*X$! Cats

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 04:21:08 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

On Jun 28, 10:42 pm, "Astral Voyager" wrote:
Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads 'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree with my
view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

Do the pellets work or has anyone tried those ultrasonic device?

Any tips much appreciated.

Mel.

--http://www.ebid.net
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Mel, try moth balls broken up into small pieces and scattered around
the garden, it worked for me.

Make some very dilute Jeyes or Armillatox in a watering can and
sprinkle it around everywhere, grass, paths, beds anywhere. It won't
hurt them but they won't go near it.
I had a cat doing his business on my front lawn every night but after
the above remedy it's been clear for 5 weeks now.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Judith in France 29-06-2008 03:57 PM

$%*X$! Cats

On Jun 29, 2:42 pm, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² wrote:
[...]

I wonder if that would work for chickens? my neighbour has enough to
feed the 5 thousand and for some reason they love rolling around and
making dust baths in my garden!

Judith

Peter James[_2_] 29-06-2008 04:34 PM

$%*X$! Cats

Astral Voyager wrote:

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?
snipped

Yes. The ultra sonic cat scarers do work. It keeps them out of your
garden, and doesn't hurt them.
If your garden is contained behind a good fence or well grown hedge it
works even better.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far

Alan 29-06-2008 05:06 PM

$%*X$! Cats

In message , Ðave
wrote
"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads
'Public Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up
their mess (I thought they were supposed to bury it).

I would be quite happy to shoot them but feel the law may not agree
with my view that they are vermin and should be eradicated.

I'm sure if that is your opinion then a lot of people wouldn't mind
shooting you

I take it you are a cat owner that doesn't care where his cat shit?
Shooting or poising the vermin is probably the only humane way of
getting a cat from your garden.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Eddy 29-06-2008 05:07 PM

$%*X$! Cats

®óñ© © ²°±°-°² wrote:
Make some very dilute Jeyes or Armillatox in a watering can and
sprinkle it around everywhere, grass, paths, beds anywhere. It won't
hurt them but they won't go near it.
I had a cat doing his business on my front lawn every night but after
the above remedy it's been clear for 5 weeks now.

VERY VERY dilute though, eh, or Mel will kill or harm everything it
comes into contact with.

Eddy.