Old 25-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Passiflora cuttings - when is best and what is the easiest method?

Hi

My mother in law has several rampant passiflora plants and I wanted to
get a cutting or two and get them going in my garden. Is it too early
in the season (East Anglia) to do this and do they just need hormone
rooting powder and compost?

Thanks.
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Jim W

Lynda Thornton wrote:

My mother in law has several rampant passiflora plants and I wanted to
get a cutting or two and get them going in my garden. Is it too early
in the season (East Anglia) to do this and do they just need hormone
rooting powder and compost?

They like, bottom heat (I'm assuming that you're referring to P caerulea
or incarnata as these are the 2 that do pretty well outside in the UK.
As you describe them as rampant;-))

Most texts suggest late summer, when new growth has ripened and to use
'internodal' cuttings (like Fuchsia).

You basically take a pice of stem and cut just above where the leaves
come out (the node) and then trim the stem below that to an inch or 2.

Passiflora do appreciate warmth at the base when rooting, so a
propagator or in the very least a black tray or flowerpot with a bag
over the top until they are rooted is a good idea.

Rooting powder is up to you.. I do use it for Passiflora.

That said I just pruned my Passiflora quadrangularis and used the
prunings to do 7 cuttings.

You may find that you can also layer the hardy outdoor types.. Take a
new stem and lay iton the ground, cover with compost and weight or pin
down and leave for a couple of months.. With luck it'll form roots.

//
Jim
Old 26-04-2003, 10:33 PM
JohnB

Last September/October we took an 18" cutting from a friend's rampant plant
in Sheffield. Not knowing any better I just trimmed the bottom 6" off and
stuck both bits in a jar of water on the kitchen window sill. To my suprise
both rooted very quickly.

John

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1ftzu80.c3xdusowj0wN%00senetnospam@macunlimit ed.net...

Old 27-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:26:27 +0100, "JohnB"
wrote:

Last September/October we took an 18" cutting from a friend's rampant plant
in Sheffield. Not knowing any better I just trimmed the bottom 6" off and
stuck both bits in a jar of water on the kitchen window sill. To my suprise
both rooted very quickly.

I suppose there are different species and cultivars and I've got the
bog standard ordinary one given to me as a "twig" with just the
beginnings of roots bursting out of the nodes on one end. I think I
may have given it a brief time in a pot but I assure you it got rough
treatment. The person who has one of it's "brudders" was around
yesterday and he told me he had got so fed up with his (he has quite a
small garden) that he has got rid. Mine is horribly untidy in winter
but it's by an open entrance to the street and wee toddlers get
entranced while their mothers wait patiently.

You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks.
Does anyone know anything better than Artemisia? Oops! I think I'd
better start another thread as I'm sure I've lost half of you.

Catch you later.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 27-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Charlie Pridham

Lynda Thornton wrote:

[...]

Nodal cuttings are also fine , plus they will do from root cuttings! the
only method thats any trouble is by seed (and thats only because they can be
variable in flower colour)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Jim W

JohnB wrote:

Last September/October we took an 18" cutting from a friend's rampant plant
in Sheffield. Not knowing any better I just trimmed the bottom 6" off and
stuck both bits in a jar of water on the kitchen window sill. To my suprise
both rooted very quickly.

John

Yep that can work as well;-0))

//
Old 28-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Glenda Young

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:26:27 +0100, "JohnB"
tippy-typed:

Last September/October we took an 18" cutting from a friend's rampant plant
in Sheffield. Not knowing any better I just trimmed the bottom 6" off and
stuck both bits in a jar of water on the kitchen window sill. To my suprise
both rooted very quickly.

Excellent, that's great to know.. next time I walk past my neighbour's
beautiful passiflora (it overhangs onto the street) I'm going to snip
a bit off and stick it in some water in a jamjar! :-)