Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Reader/Poster

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.
I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!
--
Gordon H
Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
[...]

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.

Bobbie;-)
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

I have forgotten most of what I once knew!
--
Gordon H

Yeah, yeah. Seen it all before. :-)

Have you planted that rocket yet?

John

Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

When my wife was alive, I grew many vegetables, but have found it
unrewarding since living alone.
This year I planted half a dozen runner beans and some salad bowl
lettuce, because I like tender beans for stir-fries, and because the
lettuce provides a steady supply of leaves which are sufficient for my
needs.
I have also re-instated my resolve that half an hour in the garden each
day can keep it tidy, after a period of neglect, I'm afraid.

We all make ourselves similar promises...

I have only a small garden, 90ft from front to rear of my property, and
mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older,
with shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

I was tempted 'out of cover' by the thread on Physostegia, the first
contribution I have been able to make since reading the group for a few
weeks.
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.

I'll start with leeks.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

Does the world end this year, at long last, then?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Hello folks,

[....]
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for
winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.
Bobbie;-)

Oh no!
I would be more likely to ask John, he's your veg gardener.

--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

..
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.
It would have been devastating for my wife, but she died before any were
born.

In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests
of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter
vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

I'm sure your basket will be overflowing with suggestions.
I'll start with leeks.

I have grown them in the past, and enjoy them in soups and stir-fries as
an alternative to onions. They were never competition size. ;-)
ISTR that you sow the seeds, then lift and drop the young plants into
dibbed holes in loose soil, water 'em, and wrap them for blanching as
they grow.
I used foam pipe lagging.
--
Gordon H

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gordon H" wrote
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the interests of
health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Sorry, but most if not all winter veg should be in and growing by now.

Story of my life, Bob. I should have read my "What to do this month
in the garden" book...
It's a short growing season in these parts anyway, with only a cold
frame to help, another snag which has discouraged me in recent years
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

How true, how true Mary in Leeds, I try to recall something from my
memory and it recedes, then later, when I am not trying to pursue it, up
it pops!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Bobbie
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Hello folks,

[....]
In the current situation of increasing food prices and in the
interests of health, I will be looking for suggestions perhaps for
winter vegetables.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

LOL, But darling, you should have asked me.
Bobbie;-)

Oh no!
I would be more likely to ask John, he's your veg gardener.

Yeah but who do you think he gets all his information from?
In any case I just know from having lurked for so long, the good people
of urg will be more than happy to give you all the suggestions you are
likely to need.

Bobbie
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge 2
writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Hello folks

Welcom to the madhou^h^h^h^h - er - mudhouse.

Thank you.

Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

That sounds unfortunate.

In some respects, yes, but I have avoided baby-sitting chores.

What's more, the novelty soon wears off.

Mary
whose ten grandchildren range from 23 to 2 yo.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hello folks, I am Gordon, age 74, widowed 13 years, living on the
outskirts of Manchester.
Three grown children, son in Australia, daughter in California, elder
daughter a few miles away from here.
Three grandchildren spread around the world. ;-)

mostly it has been planned as low-maintenance as I have grown older, with
shrubs and perennials as I have become ancient.

74 isn't ancient!

I keep telling him that Mary, at 71 I think I have a right to protest
such thinking:-)
.
I have forgotten most of what I once knew!

No, it's all still in there. Your memory is perfect, like mine.

The retrieval system might be corrupted though :-(

Mary
in Leeds

Oh I like that.

Bobbie, Grandma of two little beauties, Scottish by birth, living in Dorset.