GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bee sting allergy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176775-bee-sting-allergy.html)

Bob Hobden 11-07-2008 06:08 PM

Bee sting allergy

On our allotment site one gardener wanted to start keeping bees. Our Council
who rent out the plots wrote to everyone and asked if they minded the
keeping of bees on the site. Needless to say all the "old " gardeners said
yes, with some enthusiasm, we could see a significant increase in crops due
to better pollination. Let alone the availability of local honey.
Unfortunately one of the "new" plot holders has objected saying he is
allergic to bee stings. Our Council have therefore refused permission for
bees to be kept on our site. (no democracy there!)

My understanding is that when a child he was stung by a bee on the hand and
eventually, after a couple of days or so, he got a dark line running up his
arm and had to have medical treatment.

I thought that if one had an allergy to bee stings, once stung, the
situation was serious and needed immediate medical help and also that
sufferers carried a special pack around with them just in case.

So, is what he experienced an allergy to stings or blood poisoning?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Rod 11-07-2008 06:32 PM

Bee sting allergy

On 11 Jul, 18:08, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Sounds more like blood poisoning to me - the symptoms just don't match
up. In any case, the allergy is very rare though the number of people
claiming to be allergic is quite high. A painful inflamed swollen area
around the sting - even quite a large swelling is in the spectrum of
normal symptoms, it is not an allergic reaction.
The allergy is extremely serious and sufferers will know about it. As
I understand it the first episode is not usually fatal but subsequent
ones can be.

Mary Fisher 11-07-2008 07:24 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
On our allotment site one gardener wanted to start keeping bees. Our
Council who rent out the plots wrote to everyone and asked if they minded
the keeping of bees on the site. Needless to say all the "old " gardeners
said yes, with some enthusiasm, we could see a significant increase in
crops due to better pollination. Let alone the availability of local
honey.
Unfortunately one of the "new" plot holders has objected saying he is
allergic to bee stings. Our Council have therefore refused permission for
bees to be kept on our site. (no democracy there!)

My understanding is that when a child he was stung by a bee on the hand
and eventually, after a couple of days or so, he got a dark line running
up his arm and had to have medical treatment.

That's not an allergy, it's an infection causing cellulitis.

I thought that if one had an allergy to bee stings, once stung, the
situation was serious and needed immediate medical help and also that
sufferers carried a special pack around with them just in case.

Some do. I never did. I rarely had an allergic reaction, just a 'local'
reaction, which is painful swelling and hives.

So, is what he experienced an allergy to stings or blood poisoning?

Neither. Cellulitis :-)

I have to be careful of that now if I damage my right arm, becuse I have no
lymph nodes in that axilla, to help fight infections. If cellulitis develops
it needs treatment with antibiotics. Allergic responses need a different
treatment, usually with adrenalin.

Mary

Tim W 11-07-2008 07:33 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds more like blood poisoning to me - the symptoms just don't match
up. In any case, the allergy is very rare though the number of people
claiming to be allergic is quite high. A painful inflamed swollen area
around the sting - even quite a large swelling is in the spectrum of
normal symptoms, it is not an allergic reaction.
The allergy is extremely serious and sufferers will know about it. As
I understand it the first episode is not usually fatal but subsequent
ones can be.

This is true. Lots of people claim an allergy when they don't have one but
bee stings can be very unpleasant and quite dangerous for anybody. Also in
the vicinity of a hive you are far far more likely to receive multiple
stings because they have something of a mob mentality. Bees these days are
very much more liable to be bad tempered too, so old gardeners who have
memories of docile bees should not be relied upon. Beekeepers have more or
less totally mongrelised or destroyed native wild bees so that bees now show
all kinds of odd behaviours, the most obvious of which is aggression, often
made worse by the stress caused by the large numbers of parasites that have
been introduced.

IOW say a clear no to hives on the allotments. Beware of anything a
beekeeper tells you.

Tim w

Mary Fisher 11-07-2008 07:42 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...

This is true. Lots of people claim an allergy when they don't have one but
bee stings can be very unpleasant and quite dangerous for anybody. Also in
the vicinity of a hive you are far far more likely to receive multiple
stings because they have something of a mob mentality.

No they don't. When they sting or are damaged an alarm pheromone is released
which can - CAN - cause others to go to the spot and sting.

Bees these days are very much more liable to be bad tempered too, so old
gardeners who have memories of docile bees should not be relied upon.
Beekeepers have more or less totally mongrelised or destroyed native wild
bees so that bees now show all kinds of odd behaviours, the most obvious
of which is aggression,

That's not true.

often made worse by the stress caused by the large numbers of parasites
that have been introduced.

It's true that stress can affect the behaviour of bees - or any animal. That
stres can be caused by human behaviour.

IOW say a clear no to hives on the allotments. Beware of anything a
beekeeper tells you.

It's not sensible to have hives on allotments for various reasons -
including that of vandalism and theft.

Mary

Broadback 11-07-2008 08:06 PM

Bee sting allergy

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I am allergic to wasp stings, don't know about bees, but much the same I
guess. Instead of the usual small swelling ans irritation the area
around the stings swells like a balloon, very unpleasant, luckily it was
the back of my hand, though the swelling reached up past my elbow, just
glad it was not my face!

Angela[_3_] 11-07-2008 08:58 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I thought that if one had an allergy to bee stings, once stung, the
situation was serious and needed immediate medical help and also that
sufferers carried a special pack around with them just in case.

If he has a allergy to bee stings he will carry an EpiPen. As someone who
has a severe allergy (not to bee stings) and has experienced two admissions
to intensive care I am paranoid about carrying 2 EpiPens let alone 1. If he
has an allery he will have one - ask him. If he doesn't then all he is
allergic to is the pain of a bee sting!

graham 11-07-2008 10:18 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

The trouble with bee sting allergies is that they develop and get worse with
repeated contact. Some keepers have had to give up because a family member
had the allergy and it got worse due to him taking his venom-laden bee suit
into the house.
Graham
I'm one of those fortunate people who can't tell exactly where he was stung
some 30 minutes later.

Bob Hobden 11-07-2008 11:29 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" wrote

It's not sensible to have hives on allotments for various reasons -
including that of vandalism and theft.

Mary, before I went to this allotment site one of the gardeners did keep
bees there and I'm told the crops of things that depend on pollination, like
Runner Beans, increased enormously. This site does not appear to suffer from
vandalism and there is only crops to steal, nobody keeps tools on their
plots much. So what other reasons are there for not having bees on the site.
Being the Rep for the site I need to be able to form a considered opinion.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Alan 11-07-2008 11:38 PM

Bee sting allergy

In message , Bob Hobden
wrote
[...]

For spring/early summer pollination why not just put up some tubes to
attract Red Mason bees to 'nest'. This year I had a couple of hundred
buzzing around for a few months although it's taken a few years for the
numbers to build up.

http://www.amac.f2s.com/bee/

quote
The Red Mason Bee is not at all aggressive. The male does not have a
sting, a female will sting only if very roughly handled between the
fingers and even then, the sting is a puny thing compared to a wasp or
honeybee.
/quote

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Mason_Bees.html
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Mason_Bee_FAQ.html

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Pollination_Bees_27.html
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 09:40 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote

It's not sensible to have hives on allotments for various reasons -
including that of vandalism and theft.

Mary, before I went to this allotment site one of the gardeners did keep
bees there and I'm told the crops of things that depend on pollination,
like Runner Beans, increased enormously. This site does not appear to
suffer from vandalism and there is only crops to steal, nobody keeps tools
on their plots much. So what other reasons are there for not having bees
on the site.
Being the Rep for the site I need to be able to form a considered opinion.

Runner beans usually develop even without insect pollination but honey bees
aren't heavy enough to get into runner bean flowers anyway, they're
exploited by bumble beas.

But you don't need a close source of pollinating insects, honey bees will
fly (it's said) up to three miles radius from their hive or wild nest,
that's a very large area. I wouldn't rely on three miles though :-) Other
insects, especially the ubiquitous wild bumble bees, are also pollinaters.
The crops might increase because of a nearby hive but it's not guaranteed.

You're lucky that you don't have vandalism!

The only reason I can think of for not having a hive on the site is that the
beekeeper will have to visit it to take swarm prevention action, to manage
diseases, to add space for honey and to remove the honey. S/he might also
have to feed if it's been a poor season or if too much honey is removed. In
the season - which is also the growing season - say from April to
September - this (approximate) weekly disruption to the hive will cause a
lot of bee activity in the air. The beekeeper will be protected by veil and
gloves, as a rule, the gardeners won't be. If the beekeeper is clumsy and
makes the bees defensive someone might suffer.

There's also the potential problem of vibration caused by machinery. That
too can cause bees to become defensive. There might be no machinery used
near the hive so it might be irrelevant but it's something to consider.

HTH

Mary

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 09:42 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Broadback" wrote in message

I am allergic to wasp stings, don't know about bees, but much the same I
guess.

Not necessarily.

Instead of the usual small swelling ans irritation the area around the
stings swells like a balloon, very unpleasant, luckily it was the back of
my hand, though the swelling reached up past my elbow, just glad it was
not my face!

That's not an allergy. It's a local reaction, I know it's more than
unpleasant though!

Mary

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 09:43 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Graham" wrote in message

The trouble with bee sting allergies is that they develop and get worse
with repeated contact.

not necessarily. In fact some people think that the reaction lessens by
repeatd stings. I don't think that's necessarily true either.

Some keepers have had to give up because a family member had the allergy
and it got worse due to him taking his venom-laden bee suit into the
house.

That's probably more to do with the propolis on the suit rather than venom.

Mary

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 09:44 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Alan" wrote in message

For spring/early summer pollination why not just put up some tubes to
attract Red Mason bees to 'nest'. This year I had a couple of hundred
buzzing around for a few months although it's taken a few years for the
numbers to build up.

That's an excellent idea, thanks, I'd forgotten about making habitations for
solitary bees.

Mary

Alan 12-07-2008 10:30 AM

Bee sting allergy

In message , Alan
wrote

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Pollination_Bees_27.html

Followup.

The Oxford Bee Company is no longer trading (hence the discontinued note
on their tubes/nesting boxes in the above link) . However, the products
are still available from
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/search.php?srch=bee

I purchased some replacement tubes from CJ Wildlife earlier in the year.
I have no connection with this company other than as a customer.

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 10:49 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Alan
wrote

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Pollination_Bees_27.html

Followup.

The Oxford Bee Company is no longer trading (hence the discontinued note
on their tubes/nesting boxes in the above link) . However, the products
are still available from
http://www.birdfood.co.uk/search.php?srch=bee

I purchased some replacement tubes from CJ Wildlife earlier in the year. I
have no connection with this company other than as a customer.

Youcan use cut up bamboo canes and tie them together or just get a chunk of
wood - about 6" deep minimum - and drill holes in it with long 3/8" bit.
It's not critical. Hang the result from a branch.

Mary

graham 12-07-2008 02:52 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Graham" wrote in message

The trouble with bee sting allergies is that they develop and get worse
with repeated contact.

not necessarily. In fact some people think that the reaction lessens by
repeatd stings. I don't think that's necessarily true either.

Some keepers have had to give up because a family member had the allergy
and it got worse due to him taking his venom-laden bee suit into the
house.

That's probably more to do with the propolis on the suit rather than
venom.

Apparently not. It has been studied here where bee-keeping is a big
business. Propolis is just a mix of resins.
Graham

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 03:35 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Graham" wrote in message

The trouble with bee sting allergies is that they develop and get worse
with repeated contact.

not necessarily. In fact some people think that the reaction lessens by
repeatd stings. I don't think that's necessarily true either.

Some keepers have had to give up because a family member had the allergy
and it got worse due to him taking his venom-laden bee suit into the
house.

That's probably more to do with the propolis on the suit rather than
venom.

Apparently not. It has been studied here where bee-keeping is a big
business. Propolis is just a mix of resins.

Yes but it causes allergies and skin reactions. My husband's hands used to
suffer badly when he was cleaning hive parts of propolis and there have been
authenticated reports of death caused by reactions when propolis has been
taken orally 'for health reasons'.

Mary

graham 12-07-2008 03:57 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Graham" wrote in message

[...]

I suppose it depends on the source. I would imagine that most of the
propolis on our hives (when we kept bees) had a pine and spruce origin, with
minor amounts from poplars early in the season.
Graham

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 04:50 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Graham" wrote in message

[...]

I've been thinking the same. But it's a widespread phenomenon. Our propolois
must have been from a wide variety of deciduous trees.

Mary

Bob Hobden 12-07-2008 04:54 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher"wrote after

"Bob Hobden" asked
[...]

On this site I haven't yet seen or heard of any vandalism, unlike our
previous site where every time we went there we wondered what we would find,
not a pleasant experience.
This site has open land on two sides.
The beekeeper lives very locally so could visit as often as needed.
The bit about vibration may be relevant as we have a sewage pumping station
next to the site and the tanker lorries that sometimes visit it have to
drive through the site. They do that very seldom though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden 12-07-2008 05:02 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Youcan use cut up bamboo canes and tie them together or just get a chunk
of wood - about 6" deep minimum - and drill holes in it with long 3/8"
bit. It's not critical. Hang the result from a branch.

Excellent suggestion.
That would screw nicely onto the top of the rabbit fencing posts we all have
around out plots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Mike Derby[_2_] 12-07-2008 05:58 PM

Bee sting allergy

An eminent apiarist told me that honey bees especially, can't stand the
colour blue. Whilst out walking in the country, I was stung by bees quite
badly. All down to me wearing a blue shirt and sun hat that apparently made
the bees very angry indeed. The beekeeper said that no sensible apiarist
would dream of wearing any blue clothing near their hives. The stings could
have been a lot worse as luckily I wasn't wearing denims. You have been
warned!

Mike Derby

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 06:05 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

The beekeeper lives very locally so could visit as often as needed.

I should have said that when s/he visits might well be the times other
allotment workers are there.

Mary

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 06:09 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mike Derby" wrote in message
An eminent apiarist told me that honey bees especially, can't stand the
colour blue. Whilst out walking in the country, I was stung by bees quite
badly. All down to me wearing a blue shirt and sun hat that apparently
made the bees very angry indeed. The beekeeper said that no sensible
apiarist would dream of wearing any blue clothing near their hives. The
stings could have been a lot worse as luckily I wasn't wearing denims. You
have been warned!

Mike Derby

I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.

Blue denim, however, can be a problem, apparently. Bees communicate by
chemical odors and genuine indigo dye is thought to be 'offensive' to them.

I think that very little denim is now dyed with indigo, I've never had a
problem wearing my jeans in an apiary. Or anything blue, come to that. It's
the colour I wear most often.

I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

Mary

Nick Maclaren 12-07-2008 07:09 PM

Bee sting allergy

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.
|
| I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
a different range of the spectrum to us.

And any beekeepers whose clothes get a lot of venom on them needs
to learn how to handle bees. Bees die when they sting, and that
means a lot of dead bees and a disturbed hive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mary Fisher 12-07-2008 07:57 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.
|
| I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
a different range of the spectrum to us.

Colour blind in our terms. They don't see the red end of the spectrum but
they do see the uv end.

And any beekeepers whose clothes get a lot of venom on them needs
to learn how to handle bees. Bees die when they sting, and that
means a lot of dead bees and a disturbed hive.

I couldn't agree more.

Make the most of it :-)

Mary

Nick Maclaren 12-07-2008 08:14 PM

Bee sting allergy

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
| a different range of the spectrum to us.
|
| Colour blind in our terms. They don't see the red end of the spectrum but
| they do see the uv end.

I should have said monochrome vision :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

graham 12-07-2008 08:26 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.
|
| I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
a different range of the spectrum to us.

And any beekeepers whose clothes get a lot of venom on them needs
to learn how to handle bees. Bees die when they sting, and that
means a lot of dead bees and a disturbed hive.

That's true if you have a couple of hives. However, my neighbour has about
500 and there are several 1000+ operations going strong!
A couple of guard bees per hive attacking won't affect the hives but the
suit sure will be contaminated.
Graham

Gordon H 13-07-2008 12:26 PM

Bee sting allergy

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.

Blue denim, however, can be a problem, apparently. Bees communicate by
chemical odors and genuine indigo dye is thought to be 'offensive' to them.

[....]

Harrummph! This is political correctness gone mad!
;-)
--
Gordon H

Broadback 14-07-2008 10:05 AM

Bee sting allergy

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.
|
| I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
a different range of the spectrum to us.

And any beekeepers whose clothes get a lot of venom on them needs
to learn how to handle bees. Bees die when they sting, and that
means a lot of dead bees and a disturbed hive.

That's true if you have a couple of hives. However, my neighbour has about
500 and there are several 1000+ operations going strong!
A couple of guard bees per hive attacking won't affect the hives but the
suit sure will be contaminated.
Graham

I do not think that bees die when they sting, the have a corkscrew type
sting that enters easily. If you are stung and leave the bee alone it
will work round and round extract the sting and live. Knocking them off
tears off their sting, then they die.

Mary Fisher 14-07-2008 02:24 PM

Bee sting allergy

"Broadback" wrote in message

I do not think that bees die when they sting, the have a corkscrew type
sting that enters easily. If you are stung and leave the bee alone it will
work round and round extract the sting and live. Knocking them off tears
off their sting, then they die.

Honeybees almost always die when they sting a soft-fleshed animal like a
human.

The sting is not corkscrew shaped, it's barbed. The barbs enter the flesh
and the sting can't be pulled out without also pulling the sting mechanism
out of the bee's body.

A bee doesn't have a 'blood' circulation system like mammals and birds,
instead its 'life fluid' (haemolymph) washes freely over the organs in the
body. When the sting is lost the fluid leaks out of the bee's body and it
dies after a short time.

A bee will try to escape by pulling away from the flesh but because the
sting is firmly attached it can only go round in circles*, eventually it
pulls away from the flesh leaving the sting behind and flies off. And dies.

Mary

*that always reminds me of the old joke:

"Mummy, why am I walking round in circles?"

"Be quiet or I'll nail your other foot to the floor."

Sacha[_3_] 15-07-2008 09:39 PM

Bee sting allergy

On 11/7/08 18:08, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

Coming into this a bit late, Bob as we've been away for a few days. I'm
extremely allergic to bee stings and carry an Epipen at all times now. But
I never had this dark line thing. I had an increasingly bad reaction each
time I was stung but the marks of the stings remained localised. My problems
was that last times my bees attacked me - my own fault - and because I had
so many stings, I had a truly horrendous reaction so was warned not to get
stung again.
It was the rest of my body that reacted, no dark line. I had all the
symptoms of flu and my eyes were swollen to the point where I could only
hope one a tiny glimmer. I don't think your plot holder is allergic in the
dramatic anaphylactic sense to bee stings. At least, I doubt it very much.
If the hives can be sited some way from his plot there is no reason for him
to fear the bees. I don't worry overmuch about bees now but I do keep clear
of weeding parts of the garden where they are especially active, just in
case I put my hand on one by accident. In fact, someone - who didn't follow
through on it - asked us if she could put some up in the field behind the
car park and I was all for it.
I think your friend had blood poisoning, or the start of it and in fact, I
wonder if it was a bee sting or a rose thorn or something similar that 'got'
him. I say this because I do know of someone scratched by a rose thorn who
ended up in hospital close to death. The only thing anyone could think of
was that the roses had recently been sprayed but the dark line thing is
exactly what he had and kept ignoring. But it was *not* a bee sting.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com