Old 13-07-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to decide when onions are ready?

Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?

--
Chris Green
Old 13-07-2008, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote
Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?

The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-07-2008, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Chris wrote
| Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?
|
| The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

But, if you want to know whether you can eat one, whenever they are
big enough - they are edible at all stages :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2008, 10:55 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?

--
Chris Green
the growth will slow down that means not more water bad part is if it does rain .and the tips does soften
Old 14-07-2008, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Chris wrote
| Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?
|
| The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

But, if you want to know whether you can eat one, whenever they are
big enough - they are edible at all stages :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

As we are on the topic of onions, mine have grown well, but some are
sqiggy (highly technical term there) in the middle, I assume it is due
to the excess of rain we have had. True or false?

Old 14-07-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
Nick Maclaren wrote:
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Chris wrote
| Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?
|
| The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

But, if you want to know whether you can eat one, whenever they are
big enough - they are edible at all stages :-)

As we are on the topic of onions, mine have grown well, but some are
sqiggy (highly technical term there) in the middle, I assume it is due to
the excess of rain we have had. True or false?

Err.. hate to be the bearer of bad news but it could be White Rot. Pull one
up and see if it's all rotten underneath where the root plate is or should
be.
If they are then pull them up and throw them in the dustbin, do not compost
etc.
I've already throw some of mine away because of it, it even attacked the
Leeks and Garlic this year.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-07-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote
Nick Maclaren wrote:
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Chris wrote
| Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?
|
| The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

But, if you want to know whether you can eat one, whenever they are
big enough - they are edible at all stages :-)

As we are on the topic of onions, mine have grown well, but some are
sqiggy (highly technical term there) in the middle, I assume it is due to
the excess of rain we have had. True or false?

Err.. hate to be the bearer of bad news but it could be White Rot. Pull one
up and see if it's all rotten underneath where the root plate is or should
be.
If they are then pull them up and throw them in the dustbin, do not compost
etc.
I've already throw some of mine away because of it, it even attacked the
Leeks and Garlic this year.

Thanks for the heads up Bob, the bottom look ok, I'll keep and eye open.
Until last year I never had any problems with onions, or the like, last
year it was rust, though it did not seem to do them much harm, they kept
through the Winter, well until we had eaten them all that is!

Help me decide ~Roy~ Ponds 1 21-03-2005 04:09 AM
Help me decide ~Roy~ Ponds 0 21-03-2005 01:33 AM
The Bush's vs. Kerry's slander- you decide IntarsiaCo Gardening 38 25-08-2004 07:52 AM
When are onions ready? Dan United Kingdom 1 01-06-2003 06:32 PM
42" vs 50" deck: can't decide [email protected] Lawns 3 16-04-2003 02:20 AM