GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weed identifier (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176857-weed-identifier.html)

Cat(h) 14-07-2008 02:04 PM

Weed identifier

I seem to recall a website with quality photos of the most common
weeds in the British Isles, but Google as I might, I don't seem to be
able to find it. The nearest thing to crop up is a not very
satisfactory Bayer website.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
Cat(h)

Emrys Davies[_2_] 14-07-2008 02:31 PM

Weed identifier

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I seem to recall a website with quality photos of the most common
weeds in the British Isles, but Google as I might, I don't seem to be
able to find it. The nearest thing to crop up is a not very
satisfactory Bayer website.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
Cat(h)

Try Images in Google. http://tinyurl.com/69k23a

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Stewart Robert Hinsley 14-07-2008 02:33 PM

Weed identifier

In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes

* http://www.plant-identification.co.uk
* http://www.bioimages.org.uk
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Cat(h) 14-07-2008 03:10 PM

Weed identifier

On Jul 14, 2:33*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writesI seem to recall a website with quality photos of the most common
weeds in the British Isles, but Google as I might, I don't seem to be
able to find it. *The nearest thing to crop up is a not very
satisfactory Bayer website.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
Cat(h)

Try

*http://www.plant-identification.co.uk

"more on this page coming soon" :-)

*http://www.bioimages.org.uk

This is good, but it assumes I know what I am looking for - which I
don't.
I know my weeds from pulling them out of my garden, hence visually
only. I would like a site which shows me photos or good drawings, and
then tells me the name of what I am dealing with.
As you can tell, I am just a little demanding :-)

Thanks to you and Emrys for your suggestions!

Cat(h)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 14-07-2008 03:56 PM

Weed identifier

In message
,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Jul 14, 2:33*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
"Cat(h)" writesI seem to recall a website with
quality photos of the most common
weeds in the British Isles, but Google as I might, I don't seem to be
able to find it. *The nearest thing to crop up is a not very
satisfactory Bayer website.
Can anyone help?
TIA!
Cat(h)

Try

*http://www.plant-identification.co.uk

"more on this page coming soon" :-)

Follow the link to Skye (it has a great variety of wild plants there),
or do a Google search on that site.

But it would have the same problem as the other - you have to know
roughly what you're looking for.

*http://www.bioimages.org.uk

This is good, but it assumes I know what I am looking for - which I
don't.
I know my weeds from pulling them out of my garden, hence visually
only. I would like a site which shows me photos or good drawings, and
then tells me the name of what I am dealing with.
As you can tell, I am just a little demanding :-)

I can usually identify a wild flower to genus, or at least family, at
which point I can refer to one of the several field guides on my shelf,
or dig round the web for images.

There's probably about a thousand species of wild plant to be found in
your area. But I've only tallied up a little over 200 here so far this
year (but I haven't attempted to include grasses) - the number of
common/widespread plants is smaller. The number of species which are
common enough for you to encounter then as a weed is probably about 100.
(OTOH, the only place I've seen small toadflax is on one of the
allotments on the local site, and until yesterday the only location I
knew for greater bird's foot trefoil was my back garden (I've just found
it in a country park 8 miles away).)

beccabunga 15-07-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat(h) (Post 803900)

Was it perhaps this one: http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/