GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plum & Greengage trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/176940-plum-greengage-trees.html)

Sandy 16-07-2008 04:26 PM

Plum & Greengage trees

I'm planning to plant two trees in my garden and would like to have one
of each of greengage and plum. Can anyone recommend a self-fertilising
species of each or would simply having the two trees of similar fruit
satisfy the need for cross pollination?

Anne Welsh Jackson 17-07-2008 01:34 AM

Plum & Greengage trees

Sandy wrote:

I'm planning to plant two trees in my garden and would like to have one
of each of greengage and plum. Can anyone recommend a self-fertilising
species of each or would simply having the two trees of similar fruit
satisfy the need for cross pollination?

Do they need cross-pollination? I never had any problems with my
greengage - except finding the fruit at the top, since it was the same
colour as the leaves. The wasps invariably found the fruit before I did!

--
AnneJ

Sandy 17-07-2008 09:45 AM

Plum & Greengage trees

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Sandy wrote:

I'm planning to plant two trees in my garden and would like to have one
of each of greengage and plum. Can anyone recommend a self-fertilising
species of each or would simply having the two trees of similar fruit
satisfy the need for cross pollination?

Do they need cross-pollination? I never had any problems with my
greengage - except finding the fruit at the top, since it was the same
colour as the leaves. The wasps invariably found the fruit before I did!

Well, I've read conflicting views on various websites. Some say they
need another tree to pollinate and some claim to be self-fertile so I
thought I'd ask the advice of the experienced gardeners on this group.

The following site seems particularly helpful, I think?

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/default.aspx

I seem to have narrowed down my choices to either Denniston's Superb or
Brandy Gage, partnered with either Belgian Purple of President plum.

Planning to site them in a large sunny lawn in Suffolk.

echinosum 17-07-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy (Post 804291)
I'm planning to plant two trees in my garden and would like to have one
of each of greengage and plum. Can anyone recommend a self-fertilising
species of each or would simply having the two trees of similar fruit
satisfy the need for cross pollination?

There are (allegedly) self-fertile varieties, but you get much better crops if you can arrange them to cross-pollinate. The plum and greengage can cross-pollinate if you choose the varieties so that they flower at the same time. A good nursery site such as www.keepers-nursery.co.uk tells you what is good with what.

People who get good crops without a partner tree are probably benefiting from a cross-pollinator in a neighbour's garden without realising it. Or even a wild plum used as hedging.