GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My capsicum and other reports (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177007-my-capsicum-other-reports.html)

Mary Fisher 18-07-2008 05:23 PM

My capsicum and other reports

I have a baby pepper!

About an inch diameter, hope it lasts long enough to grow.

So far I've done what folks here have said (apart from being on my knees,
that seemed a trifle excessive) and both the capsicum and aubergine are
flourishing. I love the aubergine flowers - velvet petals! But they're all
putting out a lot of stems, foliage and flowers. I wonder if I should be
thinning them, as with tomatoes? Can't leave it much longer, they'll be
without care except for watering while we're on the cruise.

By the way, the photinia which was broken and I asked about striking a
cutting - I put two slips in a pot of compost and one is obviously dead but
the other has retained its green stem and leaves, I'm hopeful. Where the
parent plant was broken a new twig grew and it has red leaves.

Mary

Peter Robinson 27-07-2008 09:53 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

I have a baby pepper!

About an inch diameter, hope it lasts long enough to grow.

I've got a few reasonable sized sweet peppers now. They seem to be
taking forever to turn red though.

I wonder if I should be
thinning them, as with tomatoes?

I'd leave them to their own devices. If they form a lot of fruits and
you want larger ones, you could remove some, but at this time of year
with lots of growing season left until the frosts, I'd leave them to
their own devices.

Peter

Mary Fisher 27-07-2008 10:46 AM

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I have a baby pepper!

About an inch diameter, hope it lasts long enough to grow.

I've got a few reasonable sized sweet peppers now. They seem to be
taking forever to turn red though.

I wonder if I should be
thinning them, as with tomatoes?

I'd leave them to their own devices. If they form a lot of fruits and
you want larger ones, you could remove some, but at this time of year
with lots of growing season left until the frosts, I'd leave them to
their own devices.

That's what I've done but we're going away on Tuesday for a fortnight and my
latest worry is about watering. A grandson says he'll see to it but I still
don't know how to instruct him - a lot of water or a little? They're in the
greenhouse and the tomatoes will be watered anyway..

Mary

Peter Robinson 27-07-2008 11:35 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

That's what I've done but we're going away on Tuesday for a fortnight and my
latest worry is about watering. A grandson says he'll see to it but I still
don't know how to instruct him - a lot of water or a little? They're in the
greenhouse and the tomatoes will be watered anyway..

A lot. In a greenhouse I imagine they'll dry out pretty quickly,
especially if they're in pots. They're like tomatoes, though not quite
so leafy, so won't drink quite so much.

Peter

Mary Fisher 28-07-2008 09:22 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

That's what I've done but we're going away on Tuesday for a fortnight and
my
latest worry is about watering. A grandson says he'll see to it but I
still
don't know how to instruct him - a lot of water or a little? They're in
the
greenhouse and the tomatoes will be watered anyway..

A lot. In a greenhouse I imagine they'll dry out pretty quickly,
especially if they're in pots. They're like tomatoes, though not quite
so leafy, so won't drink quite so much.

Thanks for that, I'll put a note on the pots.

Mary