Old 25-07-2008, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT: New web site - finally....

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 11:40 pm, "gavin"
wrote:

Don't judge her, you don't know her, I do.

I have seen waht she has written and it is totally unjustified. I'm not the
sort of person to let someone who knows nothing about me bad mouth me. I
have done nothing wrong. Unfortunately Sacha cab't say the same.

Trust me on this. She
doesn't need to back up any claims

But she does. She has said things which aren't true.

and I want you to drop it, please,
trust me? I have asked you to start again, yes?

It is Sacha that you need to be addressing with these words, not me! As I
said I don't hold grudges but then again I don't say things I can't back up.
Unfortunately Sacha has. The ball is in her court.

You won't see runner beans in France unless it is someone like me
growing them, they are just called haricot verte. Did I spell that
correctly?

Nearly! Haricot is a masculine non therefore the adjective doesn't ahve the
"e" at the end - that's for feminine nouns.

I wear gold mules as slippers. I am so lazy that when I go into the
garden, I don''t bother to change into outdoor shoes. Imagine, gold
slippers steeped in mud? wet, dirty? What do I do when I lose one in
deep mud and creep into the house with one foot very dirty? I wash
one foot in the bidet and buy a new pair and I do the same thing all
over again.. I told you I was a bit weird" ?

LOL! I wondered what those strange bidets were for :-)

It is 1.15a.m. Friday morning here, I really do need my beauty sleep,
believe me!!! Sleep well.

You too Judith. I'm up late trying to catch up with my recordings of the
Tour de France!

Old 25-07-2008, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sweetness, I am sure you are a kind person, just forget earlier posts,
you will find that Sacha is a lovely person - yes, there were crossed
wires. I live in the Auvergne, 5 hours hard driving south of Paris
and that is me driving, (fast) err... I have sat nav and it tells me
where the speed cameras are, I didn't say that did I? I admit it, my
name is Judith and I am an ignoramus on gardening matters. Everyone
here knows that and for years, yonks, they have advised me with good
humour and affection. Now, you have joined our ranks Gavin. Night,
it really is time to go to bed or I will not have the energy to water
the plants tomorrow.

Judith.

Old 25-07-2008, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 12:24 am, "gavin"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Jul 24, 11:40 pm, "gavin"
wrote:

[...]

Tour de France did you say?????? Look at Brioude I shop there. Now,
listen Gavin, you and I have to move on, no more comments on website
or whatever, isn;'t lfe too short. Leave my friend Sacha alone, you
two have a difference of opinion, now enough!!!!!! Why don't you not
comment on this and join me for a glass of wine instead? Wot? you
like, red or white? (No, noooooooooooo more comments, we are moving
on, yes? cheers.)

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 11:19 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:18:01 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:07 pm, "gavin"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. ..

On 24/7/08 16:49, in article
,
"gavin" wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
snet...
On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

I've marked this thread OT so now we can discuss this here! There are
errors
on the site and I certainly find the construction a wee bit baffling - I
think the end result could have been done with far simpler code/CSS.
However, to say it is unusable is overstating the case somewhat. Please
give
details. I'm not trying to catch you out, I'm seriously interested in the
details of your argument. There's a chance I may learn something - I will
concede that there are any number of people out there who are better web
developers than I am.

What really makes me mad is the kind of money that can be charged for
building/maintaining a website - I know as I've seen this in practice.
Great
websites can be built from the ground up very cost effectively if you
know
where to go (which I do!). And it is actually pretty easy to learn basic
HTML/CSS in order to more than adequately maintain a site(as I do).

I would like to make it crystal clear that I put this site's address here
for potential customers to comment upon. It is not and never has been
intended as a training example for other designers and I think it
extremely
unfair and wrong for it to be suggested now that it should be used as
such.
While I accept this is where your interest lies, Gavin, you do NOT have
our
permission to use our site or its builders in this way and you are making
incorrect assumptions, to which we object strongly, about what we are
being
charged. You have absolutely no information or knowledge about that.

What?? What are you accusing me of? I'm defending your site!!!!!!!!

Gavin, dear one, the site needs no defence. Goodnight from La Belle
France.

Juditgh

Juditgh isn't a very French name pour La Belle France
--

Martin

I told you before, wanna smack????? You can call me Jules:-)

Jules en France
Old 25-07-2008, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Tour de France did you say?????? Look at Brioude I shop there. Now,
listen Gavin, you and I have to move on, no more comments on website
or whatever, isn;'t lfe too short. Leave my friend Sacha alone, you
two have a difference of opinion, now enough!!!!!! Why don't you not
comment on this and join me for a glass of wine instead? Wot? you
like, red or white? (No, noooooooooooo more comments, we are moving
on, yes? cheers.)

I will join you in a glass of wine - red, preferably - although I really do
prefer beer (real ale, please!). However, I can't understand why you are
giving me a hard time over this. Show me where I have erred. I can show you
where Sacha has erred. Give her the hard time!

Cheers, Judith!

Old 25-07-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 9:54 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:35:11 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 11:19 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:18:01 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:07 pm, "gavin"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. ..

On 24/7/08 16:49, in article
,

On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
[...]

That Gavin was asking for one.

You can call me Jules:-)

Jules en France

Jules et Jim has a nice sound to it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCh1a48yuU
--

Martin

lol Can you send your rain here please, my veggies are gasping.

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/08 11:14, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 02:15:12 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

You can call me Jules:-)

Jules en France

Jules et Jim has a nice sound to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCh1a48yuU

lol Can you send your rain here please, my veggies are gasping.

We're having heat a wave, a tropical heat wave, Jules

28C today, maybe.

Huh! You've stolen our weather. It's grey and cloudy here today and it
rained a bit last night.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 12:49 am, "gavin"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Jul 25, 12:24 am, "gavin"
wrote:
Tour de France did you say?????? Look at Brioude I shop there. Now,
listen Gavin, you and I have to move on, no more comments on website
or whatever, isn;'t lfe too short. Leave my friend Sacha alone, you
two have a difference of opinion, now enough!!!!!! Why don't you not
comment on this and join me for a glass of wine instead? Wot? you
like, red or white? (No, noooooooooooo more comments, we are moving
on, yes? cheers.)

I will join you in a glass of wine - red, preferably - although I really do
prefer beer (real ale, please!). However, I can't understand why you are
giving me a hard time over this. Show me where I have erred. I can show you
where Sacha has erred. Give her the hard time!

Cheers, Judith!

Giving you a hard time????? Behave yourself or I shall have to
administer a slap, ask Martin, they hurt!!!!

No real ale sorry, I don't drink beer, it's wine or nothing and if you
don't make your mind up fast, there will be none left:-)

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
You can call me Jules:-)

Jules en France

Jules et Jim has a nice sound to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCh1a48yuU

lol Can you send your rain here please, my veggies are gasping.

We're having heat a wave, a tropical heat wave, Jules

28C today, maybe.

--
Jim

33 here yesterday.

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 9:50 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:15:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 11:40 pm, "gavin"
wrote:

Judging by waht Sacha has just written I would say htat there is no
misunderstanding. I would say that she has a very bad attitude and is
accusing me of all sorts of htings that I haven't given her cause to think.
Anyway, I have asked her to back up her claims - and of course she won't be
able to.

Don't judge her, you don't know her, I do. Trust me on this. She
doesn't need to back up any claims and I want you to drop it, please,
trust me? I have asked you to start again, yes?

Come to think of it I don' tthink I have ever seen runner beans in France!
What do they call them? Beans are "fèves", aren't they

You won't see runner beans in France unless it is someone like me
growing them, they are just called haricot verte. Did I spell that
correctly?

AFAIR they were quite common in N Brittany.
--

Martin

Probably, a different culture there entirely.

Judith

Old 25-07-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New web site - finally....

In article , Ed
writes

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

I'm sure they are not Ed, most customers who seek out their site at the
moment are probably aware of how good the Nursery is and are looking at
the web pages to find out information, it's not the same situation as an
open advert 'coming to them'

I think accessibility is possibly an issue but have emailed Sacha with
my own minor comments. As you see, this forum is not the place to
discuss validation certificates or accessibility.

To answer another poster, accessibility isn't about the browser
necessarily but about contrast of colours for reading or for screen
readers or for page resolution.

Tom has had to make the maps on his Diplomacy site accessible for
players that are blind etc. and colours have to be recognised by a lot
of different types of screen so can't be 'unofficial' but as Sacha says,
this is early days and it'd a question of getting it online before
tweaking and minimising the script behind the design.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-07-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/08 13:35, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

[...]

Good explanations, Janet. ;-) Yes, accessibility has been raised in emails
from two expert web designers so it's certainly something we're looking at.
Work is going on as I write and more will be done later - watch this space!
And no, we're not losing customers - in fact, we've had several orders
already which is very heartening at such an early stage. At present the
plan is to keep the photographic bits to our more rare and unusual plants
and then add a Plant List that is not illustrated, of other things we think
people might like to know about. Festina lente is the motto at present!

Old 25-07-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Ed
writes

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

I'm sure they are not Ed, most customers who seek out their site at the
moment are probably aware of how good the Nursery is and are looking at
the web pages to find out information, it's not the same situation as an
open advert 'coming to them'

I think accessibility is possibly an issue but have emailed Sacha with my
own minor comments. As you see, this forum is not the place to discuss
validation certificates or accessibility.

To answer another poster, accessibility isn't about the browser
necessarily but about contrast of colours for reading or for screen
readers or for page resolution.

There is far more to website accessibility than that!

Old 25-07-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Giving you a hard time????? Behave yourself or I shall have to
administer a slap,

I am behaving myself ity is Sacha who is out of order. And I notice she
ahsn't been able to abckup her accusations against me. Hmmm.... remind me
who needs the hard time???

No real ale sorry, I don't drink beer, it's wine or nothing and if you
don't make your mind up fast, there will be none left:-)

France isn't the place for good beer - and yet their neighbours Belgium brew
some of the finest on the planet. Horses for courses, I guess :-)

Old 25-07-2008, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 6:00 pm, "gavin"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Jul 25, 12:49 am, "gavin"
wrote:
Giving you a hard time????? Behave yourself or I shall have to
administer a slap,

I am behaving myself ity is Sacha who is out of order. And I notice she
ahsn't been able to abckup her accusations against me. Hmmm.... remind me
who needs the hard time???

No real ale sorry, I don't drink beer, it's wine or nothing and if you
don't make your mind up fast, there will be none left:-)

France isn't the place for good beer - and yet their neighbours Belgium brew
some of the finest on the planet. Horses for courses, I guess :-)

As I don't drink beer I can't comment on it - I hate the stuff, the
smell is enough to make me heave yuk and yuk. I am sure it is
something to do with my upbringing, my late Mother was horrified to
hear that women would drink beer, I can still hear her saying "But
Ladies don't drink beer!!!" :-)

Judith