Old 21-07-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New web site - finally....

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-07-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Lovely site.
However, I wish I hadn't looked! Such beautiful and unusual plants. Being
used to the run of the mill stuff in my local nurseries, I'm stunned. I
might need a second mortgage
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 21-07-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It is fabulous Sacha, I just wish I could place an order for some
hardy plants in France, I wonder if the postage would be
extortionate? Well done to you, Ray and Matthew. p.s. wonderful
cakes, do you do mail order in the UK for these?

Judith
Old 21-07-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/08 20:38, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com
Lovely site.
However, I wish I hadn't looked! Such beautiful and unusual plants. Being
used to the run of the mill stuff in my local nurseries, I'm stunned. I
might need a second mortgage

Combine it with a Devon holiday. ; -) And thank you for the reaction!

Old 21-07-2008, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/08 20:27, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:40:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Well done From what I've seen so far it looks very good, brilliant in fact

Thanks, Val. Time you paid us a visit from 'oop north'. ;-))

Old 21-07-2008, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It is fabulous Sacha, I just wish I could place an order for some
hardy plants in France, I wonder if the postage would be
extortionate? Well done to you, Ray and Matthew. p.s. wonderful
cakes, do you do mail order in the UK for these?

Judith

I don't think you could send the cakes, Judith. In a sense, they're nothing
to do with us at all. I just think Joanna's work is so fabulous that I
wanted to show it on our site to give her some well-deserved publicity for
her wonderful part time work. If anyone wants to order one of her cakes
they'd have to be in a position to discuss it with her and pick it up
personally. She learned flower arranging so as to learn more about flowers
and how to make them and arrange them, in sugar. Every single one of those
roses and the ivy leaves on the cakes are hand made in sugar icing by her.
As to sending to Europe, I really don't know costs yet because we're just
making an early start here but it will be something we will be looking at,
certainly.

Old 22-07-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Looks good, Sacha - I wish you well with your mail order.
Chris S

Old 22-07-2008, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Congratulations Sacha (and family).

Question about the Wedding Cake tree. I list this in my plant list as
Cornus controversa 'Variegata',
as does the old RHS reference I have. You list it as C. alternifolia
'Variegata', under the Pagoda Dogwood
rather than the Giant Dogwood.

I have a C. alternifolia 'Winter Orange' that was sold to me under the
name C. controversa, then the nursery
changed the name in their catalog to go along with the prevailing usage.

I wonder if the Wedding Cake tree has gone through a similar
reclassification, and I should maybe change
it in my garden records... I also grow C. alternifolia 'Argentia'
(which is slower growing than controversa),
but it is clearly a different (and finer leaved) plant. But both lovely
in their own way.

cheers,

-E

P.S. one comment, if one could search for available plants by genus it
would be even easier to
navigate the site.
Old 22-07-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which I
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Old 22-07-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/08 15:04, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

We've seen both called the wedding cake tree so it's anyone's guess which is
truly which. We're certainly open to correction!

P.S. one comment, if one could search for available plants by genus it
would be even easier to
navigate the site.

If the plant catalogue online gets bigger we may get to that but so far,
people seem to like to browse, rather as they do in the Nursery itself.

Old 22-07-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which I
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Old 22-07-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Sacha, I didn't see Ray's Nemisia?

Judith
Old 22-07-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/08 11:31, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Looks good, Sacha - I wish you well with your mail order.
Chris S

Many thanks, Chris. I'm sure we'll keep tinkering but it's nice to have it
up and running.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and emails - mainly positive but all
suggestions, adverse or otherwise have been taken onboard and passed along.
Many go right over my head so I can't otherwise comment! Thank you all.

Old 22-07-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I
turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Thanks, Sacha. I know this is strictly speaking off-topic but I'd be
interested in his/her comments.

Old 23-07-2008, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/08 22:30, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 21, 10:49 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/08 21:10, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 21, 7:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

We sell that here in 9cm pots and sometimes pot it on to 1 or 2l pots. It's
so widely available here and worldwide (other than Australasia) that I don't
think we'd expect anyone to want it mail order. But we do hope people will
enquire if they don't see something they really want that we might have.