GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What Good is Weedol? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177172-what-good-weedol.html)

Davy[_2_] 23-07-2008 06:19 PM

What Good is Weedol?

For about half a dozen years I have had a box of sachets
of Weedol in the shed. This week I strimmed off about 200
sq m of land at the bottom of the garden and decided to
clean it with weed killer. Read the instructions on the
Weedol box; "effective on ANNUAL weeds and grasses".

Well I would guess that 90% of my weeds and grasses are
perennial. So the Weedol goes back on the shelf. Then
remember that I have never used the Weedol cos everytime I
reach for it I read the same sentence.

So its glysophate for me.

Has anybody ever found a use for Weedol?

DAvy

Jeff Layman 23-07-2008 08:23 PM

What Good is Weedol?

Davy wrote:
For about half a dozen years I have had a box of sachets
of Weedol in the shed. This week I strimmed off about 200
sq m of land at the bottom of the garden and decided to
clean it with weed killer. Read the instructions on the
Weedol box; "effective on ANNUAL weeds and grasses".

Well I would guess that 90% of my weeds and grasses are
perennial. So the Weedol goes back on the shelf. Then
remember that I have never used the Weedol cos everytime I
reach for it I read the same sentence.

So its glysophate for me.

Has anybody ever found a use for Weedol?

DAvy

I've never used it, but it would be of use "exactly as it says on the tin" -
you'd use it to kill annual weeds.

Why? Well, mainly to stop them spreading their seeds everywhere. Weedol
(paraquat) kills off anything above ground within 24 hours. If you've got a
load of annual weeds about to throw their seeds all over the place
glyphosate is a waste of time - by the time it has killed the plants (2 - 3
weeks) the seeds have been released. With paraquat, there won't be a next
generation, as the plants will be dead before their seeds are released.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Martin Brown 24-07-2008 08:34 PM

What Good is Weedol?

Davy wrote:
For about half a dozen years I have had a box of sachets
of Weedol in the shed. This week I strimmed off about 200
sq m of land at the bottom of the garden and decided to
clean it with weed killer. Read the instructions on the
Weedol box; "effective on ANNUAL weeds and grasses".

What they mean by that is that it isn't particularly effective against
deep rooted and tuberous perennial weeds. It is a lot faster than
glyphosate as a knock down weedkiller aginst annuals.

Well I would guess that 90% of my weeds and grasses are
perennial. So the Weedol goes back on the shelf. Then
remember that I have never used the Weedol cos everytime I
reach for it I read the same sentence.

So its glysophate for me.

Has anybody ever found a use for Weedol?

Yes. Used as directed it works very well. I find PathClear a more useful
option for the places on paths where glyphosate would need multiple hits.

Glyphosate is undoubtedly more environmentally friendly.

Regards,
Martin Brown