Old 30-07-2008, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucalyptus tree. Advice wanted please.

Hi,
I have 2 large, 30ft + eucalyptus trees in my garden that are at least 25 -
30 yrs old. One is in full leaf as normal, the other has a few brown leaves
on the fine branches but seems dead. However on closer inspection it has
shed it's bark as usual revealing new smooth bark on the trunk and large
branches. The fine branches/twigs which have the brown/dead looking leaves
are supple and if cut are green and moist. The tree seems to be resting. Is
this something that these trees do and is there anything I can do to get it
going? I'm loath to see it cut down. It hasn't lost any branches in the
recent winds or during the gales last winter, just no new leaves.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I live in South Wales.

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.

Old 31-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Woodsford View Post
Hi,
I have 2 large, 30ft + eucalyptus trees in my garden that are at least 25 -
30 yrs old. One is in full leaf as normal, the other has a few brown leaves
on the fine branches but seems dead. However on closer inspection it has
shed it's bark as usual revealing new smooth bark on the trunk and large
branches. The fine branches/twigs which have the brown/dead looking leaves
are supple and if cut are green and moist. The tree seems to be resting. Is
this something that these trees do and is there anything I can do to get it
going? I'm loath to see it cut down. It hasn't lost any branches in the
recent winds or during the gales last winter, just no new leaves.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I live in South Wales.

--

:-) Buy a pair of koala bears. :-)
Old 31-07-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2008 14:02, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Hi,
I have 2 large, 30ft + eucalyptus trees in my garden that are at least 25 -
30 yrs old. One is in full leaf as normal, the other has a few brown leaves
on the fine branches but seems dead. However on closer inspection it has
shed it's bark as usual revealing new smooth bark on the trunk and large
branches. The fine branches/twigs which have the brown/dead looking leaves
are supple and if cut are green and moist. The tree seems to be resting. Is
this something that these trees do and is there anything I can do to get it
going? I'm loath to see it cut down. It hasn't lost any branches in the
recent winds or during the gales last winter, just no new leaves.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I live in South Wales.

Was there any particular event that caused the leaf loss or did they go
slowly over a period of time?
I am thinking it may have been to do with the weather around the start of
april which wales like cornwall caught the worst of both cold and wind

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to answer. No special event I can think of, but
yes the early part of this year we first noticed the one tree was losing
it's leaves. The other tree is fine and both are the same age.
As I said previously the fine end branches are still green under the bark
and flexiblr. Just no leaves.

Old 31-07-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day paul,

eucalypts can be affected by a few things in nature, over here they
can suffer a die back disease, which is pretty much terminal for the
tree, or they can shed leaves in extra dry periods or if available
moisture falls enough, it is s survival mechanism.

you might gain more knowledge over time or if you have arborist's over
there who realy know their eucalypt(gum) trees they may provide an
answer, but i think it sounds early days yet.

what is a bit concerning to me is? are these trees growing in a normal
suburban garden? these forest trees are not suburban garden or street
friendly/safe trees.

there needs to be a safety margin of at least 50% more than the mature
height of the tree from any and all structures (especially homes) and
over head utilities. these trees though healthy by all appearances can
drop major branches and fall for no apparant reason. they are
responsible for many fatalaties over here and much damage to homes and
overhead utilities. for me 50% isn't enough 100% is getting close.

at a guess i would suggest your trees are only 1/2 grown.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:57:31 +0100, Paul Woodsford
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Hi Len,
You guessed correctly, they are in a garden but a large one.
The 1 that has leaves etc is on the edge of the garden but on a slope away
from the house and if it fell would land on some unused and unusable ground
that slopes severely.
The apparently dead tree is 100ft from the house and overhangs some unused
council allotment land. There are many eucalyptus trees around here, must
have had a delivery at the local garden centre some 20+ years ago.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day paul,

ther would be no accounting for which way a tree may fall, or when it
may fall, i've seen as many drop when there has been no strong winds
or storms as what i have that have fallen from wind assistance. odd
realy a tree that might withstand a cyclone might fall a very long
time later. so advice to you and all those other gardeners (who were
inadvisedly cojolled into buying these trees for the garden) don't sit
under them on a summers day for a shady rest.

there are other more garden and street planting friendly eucalypt's
(gum's as we call). the gum like lots of open ground above their root
zones, so you can imagine if they are grwoing near an ashphelted or
cemented area their roots will be uneven as they won't grow properly
under those places.

trees that are out of balance ie.,. lots of their upper foliage on one
side or the other, trees with the slightest lean on them, and trees
that have been heavily lopped by inexperienced tree loppers, they are
high on the danger list. having said all that i ahve seen the
healthiest and straightest looking tree fall before the others.

maybe gardeners need to look at getting them removed? it's not 'if'
something miight happen it is 'when' something might happen.

they grew them in the USofA in california that i know of and now they
are an environmental weed, same in madagascar taking over their
natural habitat.