Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Viking ride-on mower problem

I have an ignition fault on my Briggs and Stratton Intek
13.5 hp engine. It will not start. There is no spark at
the plug, but a neon tester in place of it does flash ok.
Tried a new plug.
Can someone please tell me where I can download a diagram of
the circuitry on the printed circuit board. A Google search
didn't help.
Sammy

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sammy" wrote in message
I have an ignition fault on my Briggs and Stratton Intek
13.5 hp engine. It will not start. There is no spark at
the plug, but a neon tester in place of it does flash ok.
Tried a new plug.
Can someone please tell me where I can download a diagram of
the circuitry on the printed circuit board. A Google search
didn't help.
Sammy

This neon tester flashes when the plug should fire, yes? Then the problem is
not that the plug is not getting any HT, but either the plug (new or not) is
faulty, or the problem lies elsewhere. Are you absolutely sure that the plug
isn't sparking, it can be difficult to see, especially in sunshine.

Something like 99% of mower non-starts are due to carb problems, usually
blocked carb or air filter, and that's what I suspect you've got.

Steve

Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
"Sammy" wrote ...
I have an ignition fault on my Briggs and Stratton Intek
13.5 hp engine. It will not start. There is no spark at
the plug, but a neon tester in place of it does flash ok.
Tried a new plug.
Can someone please tell me where I can download a diagram of
the circuitry on the printed circuit board. A Google search
didn't help.
Sammy

This neon tester flashes when the plug should fire, yes? Then the problem
is not that the plug is not getting any HT, but either the plug (new or
not) is faulty, or the problem lies elsewhere. Are you absolutely sure
that the plug isn't sparking, it can be difficult to see, especially in
sunshine.

Something like 99% of mower non-starts are due to carb problems, usually
blocked carb or air filter, and that's what I suspect you've got.

Totally agree with Steve, if you are getting a spark with the tester then
the spark is not your problem unless the gap it too large.
Take the carburettor apart carefully and clean it out, look for dirt (or
even a jelly like substance) in the float chamber, also blocked jets, make
sure the fuel comes through the pipes to the carb too, sometimes there is a
fuel filter hidden away that gets blocked. Don't forget to clean the air
filter too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Ride on Mower Problem Brianj42 Lawns 2 20-07-2011 10:08 AM
Murray ride on mower-problem Blair United Kingdom 1 17-04-2005 05:37 PM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Ride on mower rob Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 01-01-2003 03:32 AM