Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ave ave is offline

Default Are Brunnera (perennial Forget-me-Not) leaves any good for makingliquid feed?

On the basis that comfrey and borrage leaves are good for seeping in
water to make a liquid feed, has anyone experimented with seeping
brunnera (perennial forget-me-not) leaves? This may sound ignorant,
but all these plants seem to have similar shaped, large leaves,
covered on the underside with bristles, and to the ignorant, look
related. The brunnera in our garden is rampant and needs mostly
ripping out, so hoping to make use of it as a composter or liquid
feed.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave View Post
On the basis that comfrey and borrage leaves are good for seeping in
water to make a liquid feed, has anyone experimented with seeping
brunnera (perennial forget-me-not) leaves? This may sound ignorant,
but all these plants seem to have similar shaped, large leaves,
covered on the underside with bristles, and to the ignorant, look
related. The brunnera in our garden is rampant and needs mostly
ripping out, so hoping to make use of it as a composter or liquid
feed.

Worth a try. It is taxonomically a borage.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ave ave is offline

On Aug 6, 7:31 pm, Zhang DaWei wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:15:28 -0700 (PDT), ave
wrote:

On the basis that comfrey and borrage leaves are good for seeping in
water to make a liquid feed, has anyone experimented with seeping
brunnera (perennial forget-me-not) leaves?

I was thinking about posting a similar question, but asking a more
general one: whether most leaves could be used for making a similar
feed, or are just the usual comfrey/borage (and perhaps nettles, which
I have also seen) leaves the only recommended ones? If many more are
capable, are some that should not be used?
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to

As an experiment, a bunch of brunnera leaves have been soaking for
about 2 weeks now and have started to smell like sewage, and the water
is a filthy brown, so it's looking promising that this plant will make
a useful fertiliser. I suspect only the leaves from certain plants,
like comfrey/ borage/ nettles (and brunnera?) can be used in this way.