GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/177743-plant-identification.html)

Lollolollo 11-08-2008 01:03 PM

plant identification

Hi all,

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some reason. http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the name first of course.

Thanks for your help

Des Higgins 11-08-2008 01:21 PM

plant identification

--
Lollolollo

A begonia of some kind.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 11-08-2008 01:34 PM

plant identification

In article ,
says...

Hi all,

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some
reason.
http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on
the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the
name first of course.

Thanks for your help

Its a Begonia
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Granity 11-08-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollolollo (Post 809247)
Hi all,

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some reason. http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the name first of course.

Thanks for your help

Sorry but that link doesn't open for me

beccabunga 11-08-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollolollo (Post 809247)
Hi all,

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some reason. http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the name first of course.

Thanks for your help

A Begonia rex.

Good houseplant, likes reasonable light but not too much sun, keep tipping it to encourage new growth.

See here for lots of information: http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/flowers/begonias.php

Bob Hobden 11-08-2008 05:03 PM

plant identification

"Lollolollo" wrote
This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some
reason. http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on
the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the
name first of course.

Begonia, a rhizomatous one, and you may be able to find out what it is
at...
http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/
But there are a lot and you will probably need to see the flowers to be
sure.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dave Hill 11-08-2008 09:51 PM

plant identification

On 11 Aug, 17:03, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Lollolollo" *wrote

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some
reason.http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on
the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the
name first of course.

Begonia, a *rhizomatous one, and you may be able to find out what it is
at...http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/
But there are a lot and you will probably need to see the flowers to be
sure.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I used to grow it many years ago, I'm trying to remember it's name,
Begonia Tigrada (Tiger begonia) comes to mind, but I will keep trying
to remember, the leaf is quite distinct, smooth as oposed to another I
had with the same name, which was more gingery in markings and
slightly hairy.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Lollolollo 12-08-2008 05:00 PM

brilliant!! thanks all.

It seems like its a Rhizomatous thought will take some time for me to look at all the pics and figure out which one it is. Never the less, its a GREAT start. Thanks so much.

I never know there were so many variation. WOW!

Judith in France 12-08-2008 06:47 PM

plant identification

On Aug 11, 1:03*pm, Lollolollo
wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post here and very glad to have found this forum.

I have grown this plant from a cutting but I have no idea what it is.
Here is a link to the picture as I am not able to upload for some
reason.http://www.leora.net/plant.jpg

Does any body know please?
The leaves are velvety green on top and glitter speckled dark red on
the underside.

I would like to find out care and maintenance information but need the
name first of course.

Thanks for your help

--
Lollolollo

It's a begonia but I don't know which one. We had a huge one in the
garden room of our house in England, it really was enormous and we
left it for the new owners.

Judith