Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Standard" Wisteria Tree

We have 2 "standard" wisteria trees which are in their second flowering -
although neither 1st nor 2nd have been particularly spectacular.

I suspect they need a severe pruning - so any advice please on best time and
how

Thanks

Jeanne

Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote...
We have 2 "standard" wisteria trees which are in their second flowering -
although neither 1st nor 2nd have been particularly spectacular.

I suspect they need a severe pruning - so any advice please on best time
and how

I've always thought the first should be spectacular, the second a bonus.

Nip any long growths back now to about 3 or 4 leaf joints from the main stem
to keep the plants trim. In winter, and I do it as soon as the leaves have
fallen, cut all extended/new growth back to 2 buds. If you leave this too
late you will not get a good flowering IME. Eventually, after a few years,
the plant will look a bit like it's covered in stags antlers, these being
the "fruiting spurs" or flowering ones in this case.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden