Old 18-08-2008, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty Hinge writes

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience

Well, mine are sharper, but with less 'classic strawberry' flavour when
eaten raw and unpickled.

Now, pale pink as they are now, I'm looking forward to decanting the
liquor, and - making a trifle.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:
"Sacha" wrote in message
"FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

My husband said he'd seen a soup recipe in there for Tomato and
something
or
other soup, but that it had no tomatoes in it so he thought they'd made a
mistake and meant 3 tomatoes rather than 3 onions. When I read it, the
recipe used 2 cans of marinara mix.

Hmmm, I don't much like cooking but I *really* don't like cooking that
way.
I happily use canned tomatoes but not without a slight feeling that I'm
cheating.

I love cooking but I too feel that vague guilt about tomatoes in a can. :-))

I don't. I like tinned plum tomatoes with (say) sausages, bacon, beans
and fried bread. For cooking dishes which incorporate tomatoes, I prefer
to use fresh ones.

I'm always a little surprised at US recipes that call for cheese
and it turns out to be Kraft slices or that stuff in a tube. That said,
I've eaten some wonderful meals in USA in both posh and average
restaurants
and in friends' houses, so it can't be totally 'instant cuisine'
everywhere.

No, just the blasted mags I accidently pick up. I'd thought I was buying
the Brisith Country Living and somehow got the US one. :-(((

With adverts for tornado shelters, Hominy Grits, and with tasty raccoon
recipes?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Explain please?

Google Finocchio

It's how he walks...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Put the rolls under a big plastic cake box, such as is molished by that
nice Mr. Tupper. Only take it off just before you put it in the oven.

I was given a breadmaker by a friend - she said I might be able to get
it to work.

It mixed OK (well, the paddle would keep getting stuck, otherwise that
bit went according to plan), but it wouldn't bake. Neither would the
paddle come out of its bearing.

I had a look inside, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong - I
disconnected the element and tested it with a multimeter, and that was
OK.

I put it all back together against the time I wanted a small mains
motor, and when that time came, I began dismantling it again. Hum!
What's this wire, floating aimlessly above the board? Well, it can only
go - here...

Soldering-iron out, and reassembled the thing, and everything worked -
except that you couldn't leave it to get on with the mixing, 'cos it
always jammed. It made excellent bread, though, the stuck paddle always
ripped a lump of bread out on removing the loaf from the pan.

In the end I gutted it, removed the paddle, motor, belt, etc, and
plugged the bottom of the pan with a rolled-up and squished bit of
aluminium foil. Now, I mix the dough in the Kenwood Chef (with a
dough-hook), cover the pan with anything that's handy and hang it in a
warm place, and when the dough has risen properly, bung it in the
breadmaker and set it to bake.

Lovely bread.

Bloody fiddle, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 18-08-2008, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

I've stopped using my breadmaker. I make my bread in a Kenwood mixer with a
dough hook. I make two big loaves at a time using a mixture of strong
flours - this week it was a little organic white, organic wholewheat,
granary flour and some mixed seeded flour.

The only reason I use a breadmaker is that I haven't got my (gas) cooker
connected yet.

I let the dough rise once, knock back and put into two 2 lb double skinned
loaf tins and let it rise again covered with unbleached non stick baking
paper (similar to greaseproof paper but not stick). I then leave until well
risen in the tins, then place in a very hot oven for 10 mins, lower the heat
a little, and continue to bake for another 20 - 25 mins until cooked through
and the loaves sound hollow when tapped.

If I wanted a fresh loaf every day I'd make barm, which, when mixed
really thoroughly into the dough, makes (exhibition-type) bread with
very fine bubbles, an no big holes.

The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making some
sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong flour
(and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the better
it became for breadmaking.

He said he never used flour for making exhibition/competition bread
until it was at least seven years old.

I'd have liked to have prised more info out of him, but unfortunately he
pickled himself to death.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:07:15 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:18:58 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:45:06 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:

[21 quoted lines suppressed]

We use a Panasonic ABM, it's easier than using the Kenwood.

Easier doesn't mean better tho I've used both and know which I
prefer

Us too and we do too.

MTAAAW. Been using one since the 1950s, though in those days, under
supervision.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

/slice/

He said he never used flour for making exhibition/competition bread
until it was at least seven years old.

Surely you're pulling my leg!

Nope.

I'd have liked to have prised more info out of him, but unfortunately he
pickled himself to death.

well after reading that I don't know what to think, are you saying he was an
alcoholic ?

Yep.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | The version of the Larousse Francaise I saw in the Sorbonne was about
| | the size of the Shorter Oxford. If OUP weren't such idiots, I and
| | lots of other people would buy CD-ROMs of the OED. I haven't got the
| | space for the paper version.
| |
| | Why? Is it a king's ransom?
|
| Nah, but it's got an utterly ghastly interface that doesn't allow
| the user to do anything like search it, and runs only under an
| operating system that is equally bad.
|
| The copy I had that came from a market in Oman only ran with Win95.

Oh, man!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| Downside: They propagate themselves quite easily, hence I have to
| watch for the seedlings every year and pull them up before they become
| very difficult, especially as they drop through my Weigela (sp?).

So do walnuts :-)

Yes, but they're easily cracked.
--
Gordon H

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM