Old 19-08-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Proper trifle please.

I don't do proper trifle, but it goes thusly:

Break-up some dry sponge in the bottom of a deeply cut lead-crystal bowl.

Molish a jelly double-strength, then add about half the jelly's volume
of cream sherry. (Don't skimp - British 'sherry' WILL NOT DO.

Pour jelly over the sponge and allow to set. (You can have a layer of
jam in the very bottom, if desired. Suggest strawberry is best.)

Molish an egg custard, and pour it ver the jelly before it (the custard)
sets, but not so that it is hot enough to destroy your best lead crystal
bowl.

Leave to set, and cool.

Cover with whipped double cream.

Note: REAL trifle doesn't contain fruit salad.

Also note:

My version does...

.... and mosht of it pre-schteeped in schnappsh, or calvadosh, or shimilar.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

The fact that we could download an English version manual was the thing that
made up our minds when we bought one. We didn't really want another
manual in
Polish Czech and ...

....translated into Korean, and from there into Ingrish.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/08 16:57, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:54:20 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 19/8/08 16:14, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:56*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:50:48 +0200, Martin wrote:
We have a Panasonic SD253
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/P...ad-Maker-Revie...

User manual and operating instructions downloads at
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_220239

I found this link a direct one

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....z3z1ea7cz656ez...

Thanks so much Martin for posting those details - very much appreciated.
I'll most likely buy one now
--
Having Good Character
doesn't always mean following the crowd.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Our Martin, is one of the most helpful people on usenet, I couldn't do
without him!

It would be just Sacha and her trusty naive blonde musketeer without me.

I'm losing track of all this? What am I doing - or not doing - now? ;-)

Keeping an eye on Judith, your trusty naive blonde.

Full time job, I'll tell you! ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-08-2008, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from K contains these words:

I'm not sure whether mine are wild or alpine (they were already here
when I bought the house) - suspect the latter. In a wet year like this
they can attain the size of marbles, they produce lots of runners (I let
them grow where they will and just heave out an armful when I want to
plant anything), started fruiting in May and are still producing a few
berries. I've even had enough to put a few boxes in the deepfreeze.

Not alpines, then, as they don't produce runners.

That's what I thought, but I've never met wilds this big

From the fruiting regimen it sounds as if you have wild strawbs.

--
Kay

Old 19-08-2008, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Aug 19, 11:45*am, K wrote:

And, of course, I'm not that an enthusiastic cook, so I don't have a big
Kenwood, just a little hand held beater for the (very) occasional sponge
cake (and for fluffing up mashed potatoes).
--

'Scuse me, I remember you as a very good cook!!

Oh, I'm good, just not enthusiastic ;-)
--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

AriesVal writes
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:50:48 +0200, Martin wrote:

We have a Panasonic SD253

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/P...-Maker-Reviews
/22049697.html

User manual and operating instructions downloads at
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_220239

I found this link a direct one

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....1ea7cz656ez706
466z32z64ea72af8108f82a1c2bb14a0b43bcfd64c99208/ttips/Home_Appliances/Br
ead_Makers/SD/253/725564/B253.pdf

Thanks so much Martin for posting those details - very much appreciated.
I'll most likely buy one now

That looks like ours. We like it, but we do the baking in the oven for
better crusts. Nice to spend a couple of minutes chucking ingredients in
then come back a couple of hours later to risen dough.
--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes

Allow to work for a day, then make another pot of gruel and when cool,
seed it with a tablespoon of yesterday's brew.

That reminds me (though it's quite different) of sourdough bread, where
you make a dough and leave it on the windowsill for a few days to catch
whatever yeasts it can. Gives a very dense and interesting bread. Said
to be improved by chucking in a few veg or fruit that are past their
best - sound grim but the results are good (rather like making scones or
soda bread with sour milk - the lactic acid reacts with the soda and the
results are incredibly light and with no trace of sourness)

--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 4:14*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:56*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:50:48 +0200, Martin wrote:
We have a Panasonic SD253
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/P...ad-Maker-Revie....

User manual and operating instructions downloads at
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_220239

I found this link a direct one

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....z3z1ea7cz656ez....

Thanks so much Martin for posting those details - very much appreciated.
I'll most likely buy one now
--
Having Good Character
doesn't always mean following the crowd.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Our Martin, is one of the most helpful people on usenet, I couldn't do
without him!

It would be just Sacha and her trusty naive blonde musketeer without me.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

:-)

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 5:36*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:25:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:56*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
[...]

One day she will grow up and leave home
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You promised me that you wouldn't tell that I was still living at
home, duh who can you trust these days :-)

Judith

Old 19-08-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 5:23*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
[...]

I am having friends round on Sunday for a BBQ we will be 46 adults and
5 children, (A friend who is a restauranter is catering it, I am not
brave enough). I will add to his puddings by making some bowls of
Rosty's English Trifle, I will let you know how it goes down.

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:35:13 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 18, 3:45*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:41:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. *Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. *I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

I've stopped using my breadmaker. *I make my bread in a Kenwood mixer with a
dough hook. *I make two big loaves at a time using a mixture of strong
flours - this week it was a little organic white, organic wholewheat,
granary flour and some mixed seeded flour. *

I let the dough rise once, knock back and put into two 2 lb double skinned
loaf tins and let it rise again covered with unbleached non stick baking
paper (similar to greaseproof paper but not stick). *I then leave until well
risen in the tins, then place in a very hot oven for 10 mins, lower the heat
a little, and continue to bake for another 20 - 25 mins until cooked through
and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. *

The bread is fine in the breadmaker, it's just my rolls are not doing
as well as Kay's. I too have a big Kenwood with a doughhooh and I
always used that until the breadmaker was bought. I wonder if I can
get the non stick baking paper you mention in France? Where do you
buy it Val as I could pick up some in September when I visit my girls.

Judith

Judith, I too make my bread in (with) a Kenwood mixer using a very similar
method to Val, but I don't use non-stick baking paper. I cut up an old
plastic bag and oil it lightly and use that. (I don't use plastic carriers as
a rule, but sometimes they get forced on me!) I did think quite seriously
about getting a breadmaker until I realised that a large loaf was just taller
- not larger all round - and I also make two big loaves at a time using a
1.5kg bag of flour.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 19-08-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening- Hide quoted text -

Hi Sally before I reply to your post, I pick up the "you know what"
that came from your cousin, next month, thanks for the intro. Many
years ago, before breadmakers, I used to make the bread, the children
were very young and I used to make a lot of bread! I used the big
Kenwood and it was always a success. Now the Kenwood sits in the
pantry and I hardly use it except for Christmas cakes and big mixes
otherwise I just use a small hand mixer. When Edward makes Pitta
bread, he uses your plastic bag with olive oil technique.

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:56:15 +0100, AriesVal wrote
(in article ):

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:52:04 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote:

Judith, I too make my bread in (with) a Kenwood mixer using a very similar
method to Val, but I don't use non-stick baking paper. I cut up an old
plastic bag and oil it lightly and use that. (I don't use plastic carriers
as
a rule, but sometimes they get forced on me!) I did think quite seriously
about getting a breadmaker until I realised that a large loaf was just
taller
- not larger all round - and I also make two big loaves at a time using a
1.5kg bag of flour.

That's what I do too Sally. Make two big loaves and freeze one. I don't
eat a lot of bread so one large loaf lasts Tony for almost a week, and then
I defrost the second one. I use a mixture of flours including one with
mixed seeds in it - delicious

I bake two loaves every ten days or so.

I think you must be me in a parallel universe - you too have a Tony, and
chickens. What else I wonder?

:-)

Old 19-08-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:15:56 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 19, 9:52*pm, Sally Thompson wrote:

snip
Judith, I too make my bread in (with) a Kenwood mixer using a very similar
method to Val, but I don't use non-stick baking paper. *I cut up an old
plastic bag and oil it lightly and use that.

snip

Hi Sally before I reply to your post, I pick up the "you know what"
that came from your cousin, next month, thanks for the intro. Many
years ago, before breadmakers, I used to make the bread, the children
were very young and I used to make a lot of bread! I used the big
Kenwood and it was always a success. Now the Kenwood sits in the
pantry and I hardly use it except for Christmas cakes and big mixes
otherwise I just use a small hand mixer. When Edward makes Pitta
bread, he uses your plastic bag with olive oil technique.

Good luck with the "you know what". As I said before, lots of very good
advice on sci.agriculture.poultry. You don't need to subscribe, you could
always just browse through the archives on Goggle Gropes.

I am having great fun with my new companions, so I hope you enjoy yours just
as much.

There, that's got them all guessingg.

I couldn't live without my Kenwood - I use it all the time, not just for
bread-making!

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM