Old 17-08-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:

| Indeed, but it is relatively rare for a single dialect not to distinguish
| two things that are (a) both commonly used and (b) where there is a
| significant possibility of confusion. Muffin is unambiguous, once you
| know which side of the pond you are.
|
| Unfortunately not.
|
| You can ask for a muffin and get a proper little flat breadlingthing, or
| you may be offered a large cup-cake - on this side of the pond.

Well, that's because we have sold our souls to the Yankees - using the
word muffin to mean a polyfilla/sawdust cupcake is a modernism (not
more than a couple of decades old).

| Harrap's New Shorter French and English Dictionary: (But still requires
| a fork-lift...)*
|
| *How big/heavy is the Standard version?

The version of the Larousse Francaise I saw in the Sorbonne was about
the size of the Shorter Oxford. If OUP weren't such idiots, I and
lots of other people would buy CD-ROMs of the OED. I haven't got the
space for the paper version.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/8/08 22:00, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

Tarte tatin? And doesn't Calvados count? ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-08-2008, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
| I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.
|
| Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry
|
| No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...
|
| Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

No. Ronce = bramble. I didn't know that - I looked it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats - can't
| remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
| something like that?

Atholl brose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/8/08 23:03, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats -
can't
| remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
| something like that?

Atholl brose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick. I'll look up a recipe for that.

Old 18-08-2008, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/8/08 23:02, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or
mulberries.
| I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.
|
| Mūre sauvage, oł Mūre de ronce. Mūre (seul), = mulberry
|
| No doubt it will be shortened if the context allows...
|
| Mūre de rance being of the River Rance or some other context?

No. Ronce = bramble. I didn't know that - I looked it up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Must be old age - I mis-read ronce/rance. Thanks for the clarification and
no, I didn't know 'ronce', either.

Old 18-08-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge wrote:

from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

You mean the sort that go to mush when cooked. Yes, that's true.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Old 18-08-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| I don't like to tell you it was some years ago I ate part of one. :-(
| Not a juicy as the plums that a friend grew in her garden.

Almost certainly a damson or bullace then. Generally stronger flavoured,
more sour and less juicy.

Thanks, they looked like what I have always regarded as damsons.
It just seems a strange choice of tree to line a park!

Yesterday I pulled up three or four 18" saplings which had grown in my
garden...
--
Gordon H
Old 18-08-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Cassis is certainly blackcurrants but you can ask for a Kir Mūres in France
and get the blackberry version. I don't like Kir Cassis though a Kir
Framboise will do if I'm absolutely pushed. ;-)

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience.

The next batch will be with cultivated strawbs.

--
Kay

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 11:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 04:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 04-03-2003 12:04 AM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 06:32 AM