Old 18-08-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

David Rance writes
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge wrote:

from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

You mean the sort that go to mush when cooked. Yes, that's true.

You mean the ones that go to a delicious, feather-light foam? ;-)
--
Kay
Old 18-08-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| Almost certainly a damson or bullace then. Generally stronger flavoured,
| more sour and less juicy.
|
| Thanks, they looked like what I have always regarded as damsons.
| It just seems a strange choice of tree to line a park!

Why? They have lots of white flowers in spring, and a very suitable
growth habit. There are quite a few other species of plum that will
grow in the UK, but Bean doesn''t describe any with blue-black fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

My husband said he'd seen a soup recipe in there for Tomato and something
or
other soup, but that it had no tomatoes in it so he thought they'd made a
mistake and meant 3 tomatoes rather than 3 onions. When I read it, the
recipe used 2 cans of marinara mix.

Hmmm, I don't much like cooking but I *really* don't like cooking that
way.
I happily use canned tomatoes but not without a slight feeling that I'm
cheating.

I love cooking but I too feel that vague guilt about tomatoes in a can. :-))

I'm always a little surprised at US recipes that call for cheese
and it turns out to be Kraft slices or that stuff in a tube. That said,
I've eaten some wonderful meals in USA in both posh and average
restaurants
and in friends' houses, so it can't be totally 'instant cuisine'
everywhere.

No, just the blasted mags I accidently pick up. I'd thought I was buying
the Brisith Country Living and somehow got the US one. :-(((

Perhaps they have yet to go through the Fray Bentos steak & kidney pie in
tin stage in some ways! And Vesta curries and Surprise peas - we're not
guiltless here, though they do seem to have faded into the background!

None of our country's do when it comes to the supermarket shelves but in a
mag which has some pretensions???????

Old 18-08-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 9:56*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:23:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 09:10, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:20:50 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 17/8/08 07:44, in article ,
"David Rance" wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
groseille ą maquereau (gooseberry).

Something fishy about that. Mackerel berry?

Maquereau is also a colloquial word for a pimp!

David

What an exciting life you lead - ordering in a restaurant must be very
hazardous! *;-)

Try ordering in an Italian one! (especially vegetables, say, fennel....)

There is a town near Frascati with the same name. Try booking a hotel there.

Are you getting mixed up between the veg. and the puppet by any chance? *;-)

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Explain please?

Judith

Old 18-08-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 9:50*am, K wrote:
Rusty Hinge writes

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Cassis is certainly blackcurrants but you can ask for a Kir Mūres in France
and get the blackberry version. *I don't like Kir Cassis though a Kir
Framboise will do if I'm absolutely pushed. *;-)

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience.

The next batch will be with cultivated strawbs.

--
Kay

I like all Kirs but Casis de Dijon is still my favourite in Kir
Royale.

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 17, 10:48*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Rusty Hinge writes:

| Indeed, but it is relatively rare for a single dialect not to distinguish
| two things that are (a) both commonly used and (b) where there is a
| significant possibility of confusion. *Muffin is unambiguous, once you
| know which side of the pond you are.
|
| Unfortunately not.
|
| You can ask for a muffin and get a proper little flat breadlingthing, or
| you may be offered a large cup-cake - on this side of the pond.

Well, that's because we have sold our souls to the Yankees - using the
word muffin to mean a polyfilla/sawdust cupcake is a modernism (not
more than a couple of decades old).

| Harrap's New Shorter French and English Dictionary: (But still requires
| a fork-lift...)*
|
| *How big/heavy is the Standard version?

The version of the Larousse Francaise I saw in the Sorbonne was about
the size of the Shorter Oxford. *If OUP weren't such idiots, I and
lots of other people would buy CD-ROMs of the OED. *I haven't got the
space for the paper version.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You were at the Sorbonne Nick? I was there at Place Sorbonne this
weekend and eating breakfast there, isn't it a wonderful, wonderful
building?

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 11:30*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:20:41 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

"David Rance" wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
groseille ą maquereau (gooseberry).

Something fishy about that. Mackerel berry?

Maquereau is also a colloquial word for a pimp!

David

What an exciting life you lead - ordering in a restaurant must be very
hazardous! *;-)

Try ordering in an Italian one! (especially vegetables, say, fennel...)

There is a town near Frascati with the same name. Try booking a hotel there.

Are you getting mixed up between the veg. and the puppet by any chance? *;-)

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *

Explain please?

Google Finocchio
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Aaah, thank you Martin, I just did :-)

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| You were at the Sorbonne Nick? I was there at Place Sorbonne this
| weekend and eating breakfast there, isn't it a wonderful, wonderful
| building?

Just as a tourist! It is certainly attractive, but I am not a great
building person.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 1:33*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 11:20, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:56*am, Martin wrote:

snip

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Explain please?

Judith

A 'finocchio' is Italian slang for a gay man.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

How come you know all these things!!!!

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 1:30*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 09:53, in article , "K"

wrote:
Sacha writes
On 17/8/08 21:55, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Cassis is certainly blackcurrants but you can ask for a Kir Mūres in France
and get the blackberry version. *I don't like Kir Cassis though a Kir
Framboise will do if I'm absolutely pushed. *;-)

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

The next batch will be with cultivated strawbs.

This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats - can't
remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. *Is it brose -
something like that?

There are two similar ones, one of which is Atholl Brose.
The one I remember is basically mountains (1) of whipped cream with a
large amount of whisky stirred in alond with toasted oatmeal, and served
with raspeberries

(1) it was 'mountains' when I leant the recipe - we were cooking for 30
people.

I bet there wasn't much left, Kay. *That really does sound fantastic!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Do you mean cling film at the initial rising, or after you have shaped
the rolls and they are proving?

You don't need that much heat - less heat and the bread rises more
slowly (it is possible to leave the dough to rise in the fridge
overnight so you can cook fresh rolls for breakfast)

Too fast rising means looser dough.

I let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Then heave it out and shape into
rolls, which I stand in the top oven (with the door open) while I put
the main oven on to heat up. When the main oven is up to temperature, I
put the rolls in to cook, buy which time they are almost back up to
reasonable size. They do a little more rising while they themselves are
coming up to temperature.

--
Kay
Old 18-08-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 3:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:33*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 11:20, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:56*am, Martin wrote:
snip

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Explain please?

Judith

A 'finocchio' is Italian slang for a gay man.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

How come you know all these things!!!!

Part of being a successful musketeer?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

What am I then, the dozy one lol

Judith

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM