Old 19-08-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crop failure

South east England. One - raspberries. Two - plums.

Autumn Bliss. Plants about five years old. Excellent crops until this year.
Very poor and the leaves on several plants have lost their "green-ness"
Prune to ground level every year about January and feed with Growmore at
that time.

Victoria Plum. About 20 years old. Never a very good cropper, but a couple
of years ago produced a bumper crop of excellent fruits. Last year about
half-a-dozen and this year nil. Prune two thirds of last years growth in
early Spring.

Any suggestions?

Alistair

Old 19-08-2008, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alistair Macdonald" contains
these words:

South east England. One - raspberries. Two - plums.

Autumn Bliss. Plants about five years old. Excellent crops until this year.
Very poor and the leaves on several plants have lost their "green-ness"
Prune to ground level every year about January and feed with Growmore at
that time.

Try giving them a feed of (say) Epsom salts, or something which contains
magnesium.

Victoria Plum. About 20 years old. Never a very good cropper, but a couple
of years ago produced a bumper crop of excellent fruits. Last year about
half-a-dozen and this year nil. Prune two thirds of last years growth in
early Spring.

Any suggestions?

Plums do this anyway, and the North East can get quite cold and frosty
during flowering time.

Pruning plums can set them back years, sometimes. (Though I don't think
Victorias are quite so touchy about it.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 19-08-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
South east England. One - raspberries. Two - plums.

Autumn Bliss. Plants about five years old. Excellent crops until this year.
Very poor and the leaves on several plants have lost their "green-ness"
Prune to ground level every year about January and feed with Growmore at
that time.

Victoria Plum. About 20 years old. Never a very good cropper, but a couple
of years ago produced a bumper crop of excellent fruits. Last year about
half-a-dozen and this year nil. Prune two thirds of last years growth in
early Spring.

Any suggestions?

Alistair

I have an 8yo Victoria, fan trained. It has always cropped every other
year & this year about 35lbs, next year 0. Still well worth it

Malcolm
Old 20-08-2008, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Oh, er, ummmm.

I sent an emu to the address you use in .local!

Did you get it?

I take it you didn't get my reply? I'll have another go.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 20-08-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
South east England. One - raspberries. Two - plums.

Victoria Plum. About 20 years old. Never a very good cropper, but a couple
of years ago produced a bumper crop of excellent fruits. Last year about
half-a-dozen and this year nil. Prune two thirds of last years growth in
early Spring.

The local PYO farm has indicated that there would be few plums this year
due to a frost at flowering time. (I was pleased to get just 2 plums on
a newly planted tree - tasty )

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 21-08-2008, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Paul Luton wrote:

Victoria Plum. About 20 years old. Never a very good cropper, but a
couple
of years ago produced a bumper crop of excellent fruits. Last year about
half-a-dozen and this year nil. Prune two thirds of last years growth in
early Spring.

The local PYO farm has indicated that there would be few plums this
year due to a frost at flowering time. (I was pleased to get just 2
plums on a newly planted tree - tasty )

I had no plums whatsoever this year because of the frost and I have
about half a dozen plum and gage trees.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Old 21-08-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Our plum tree 'went' last year, to make room for the summerhouse,

Pour encourager les autres?

but I have a better crop of greengages than I've ever had before... G

Ah, j'ai raison innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig