Old 21-08-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spaghetti Squash - How do you cook it?

What I want is to get something on my plate which looks like a pile of
spaghetti. Cold ideally but hot would be fine. Jane Grigson says boil it
whole for 30-40 mind then cut it open and voila spaghetti but I am having
trouble separating the spaghetti-ish bits from the skin and the flesh under
the skin and the seeds and pulpy bits in the middle.

Any tips, methods and hints would be welcome.

Tim W

Old 22-08-2008, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in a message:
What I want is to get something on my plate which looks like a pile of
spaghetti. Cold ideally but hot would be fine. Jane Grigson says boil it
whole for 30-40 mind then cut it open and voila spaghetti but I am having
trouble separating the spaghetti-ish bits from the skin and the flesh
under the skin and the seeds and pulpy bits in the middle.

Any tips, methods and hints would be welcome.

First wash and clean your squash, then cut it in half lengthways. Remove the
seeds with a spoon. Place the two halves, cut sides down, in a large
casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough cold water to
half cover the squash. Place in a moderately hot oven, bring to the boil and
simmer for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. When cooked,
remove squash and drain. When it has cooled, you then remove the 'spaghetti
bits' ( strands!). Place them in a bowl adding herbs of your choosing, basil
or chopped parsley perhaps, carefully forking through. Enjoy!

MD.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 22 Aug, 09:29, "Mike Derby" wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in a message: What I want is to get something on my plate which looks like a pile of
[...]

I've always boiled it whole then cut open remove the "Spaghetti" and
add Spaghetti sauce and eat, removing the seeds as you eat.
David Hill
Old 22-08-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
om...
What I want is to get something on my plate which looks like a pile of
spaghetti. Cold ideally but hot would be fine. Jane Grigson says boil it
whole for 30-40 mind then cut it open and voila spaghetti but I am having
trouble separating the spaghetti-ish bits from the skin and the flesh
under the skin and the seeds and pulpy bits in the middle.

Any tips, methods and hints would be welcome.

Tim W

I bake it whole in the oven (I suppose you could use a microwave), having
pierced it a few times so that it won't burst, until it's soft then cut it
in half and scoop out the strands. I've never had a problem - except in
finding it to buy. I've never tried growing it, don't know why.

Mary

Old 22-08-2008, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote:
I've always boiled it whole then cut open remove the "Spaghetti" and
add Spaghetti sauce and eat, removing the seeds as you eat.
David Hill

Yes, that is another way, each to his own! My wife and I make a
Squash Lasagne, mixing the spaghetti strands with a Béchamel cheese
sauce and chopped mushrooms. Save a few seeds, lightly fry them in
olive oil, and sprinkle them, with a few breadcrumbs, over the top of the
final Béchamel layer, adding a few olives and a sliced tomato for garnish.

What a wonderful newsgroup uk.rec.gardening is. One moment we're
into wasps, then garden sheds and mice, and now cooking.
Whatever next!

MD

Old 22-08-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

AriesVal writes
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:03:07 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I bake it whole in the oven (I suppose you could use a microwave), having
pierced it a few times so that it won't burst, until it's soft then cut it
in half and scoop out the strands. I've never had a problem - except in
finding it to buy. I've never tried growing it, don't know why.

I have grown it in the past, but not recently. I can't remember when I last
saw it in the shops ? It's delicious.

Morrisons had a couple last week
--
Kay
Old 23-08-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:
"Tim W" wrote in a message:

[...]

I'd agree with that.

I've always boiled it whole then cut open remove the "Spaghetti" and
add Spaghetti sauce and eat, removing the seeds as you eat.

But not that.

Personally, I cut them across the diameter, remove the seeds and pith
from the middle, and fill each half with the sauce/meat/whatever and
then cover them with aluminium foil.

Place in a dish which will prevent them from falling over (I sometimes
cut a small bit off the bottom so they stand) and add a small quantity
of stock or water.

Cover dish and bake in the oven. Such a long time since I've grown them
that I can't remember for how long.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-08-2008, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

I've never tried growing it, don't know why.

Possibly becaus it was all the rage in the '70s, but the seeds are
seldom seen, now?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-08-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mike Derby" contains these words:

What a wonderful newsgroup uk.rec.gardening is. One moment we're
into wasps, then garden sheds and mice, and now cooking.
Whatever next!

Recipes for fox?

(We've done squirrels...)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-08-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

Morrisons had a couple last week

And on Monday, they will have (DV) Multi-LED mains bulbs.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 23-08-2008, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

We boil ours whole and then add butter and sometimes grated cheese
rather than spaghetti sauce. However, more importantly, we have found
that the insides are much more spaghetti-like and they separate more
easily from the skin, if the marrow is picked and then kept for at least
3-4 weeks before eating.

Yes, that too, but leaving it on the plant until it is well ripe has the
same effect - indeed, a ripe marrow can be 'spaghetti-ised', too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 24-08-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from K contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

Morrisons had a couple last week

And on Monday, they will have (DV) Multi-LED mains bulbs.

When will they be ready to pick - and have you a recipe?

Mary

Old 24-08-2008, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 24, 9:57*am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in id.co.uk...

The message
from K contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

Morrisons had a couple last week

And on Monday, they will have (DV) Multi-LED mains bulbs.

When will they be ready to pick - and have you a recipe?

Mary

The holiday did you good Mary, I am still waiting for the pics of the
glam clothes you showed me.

Judith
Old 24-08-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 9:57 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in
id.co.uk...

The message
from K contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

Morrisons had a couple last week

And on Monday, they will have (DV) Multi-LED mains bulbs.

When will they be ready to pick - and have you a recipe?

Mary

The holiday did you good Mary, I am still waiting for the pics of the
glam clothes you showed me.

Still in the camera :-(

Mary

Old 24-08-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 24, 11:48*am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
On Aug 24, 9:57 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in
id.co.uk...

The message
from K contains these words:

/Spaghetti squash/

Morrisons had a couple last week

And on Monday, they will have (DV) Multi-LED mains bulbs.

When will they be ready to pick - and have you a recipe?

Mary

The holiday did you good Mary, I am still waiting for the pics of the
glam clothes you showed me.

Still in the camera :-(

Mary

Got it, you look fabulous Mary, really fabulous, I want that dress!!
Post a pic on here, everyone will love it.

Judith