GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178077-dividing-relocating-crocosmia.html)

Gordon H 24-08-2008 04:33 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Gordon H wrote:

I have a clump of Crocosmia

Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?

Anytime you want, basically. You can't kill crocosmia, heaven knows
I've tried - and always the bloody stuff returns. Some of the corms
must be over two foot deep - that's how deep we went last time we
tried to annihilate the damned plant!

Gulp!
--
Gordon H

Gordon H 25-08-2008 10:35 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , AriesVal
writes

Giant URL surgically removed.

Now THAT is a URL and an 'alf!

Compliments of 40tude Dialog 'insert wrap override character' :)

My crocs are orange, and I don't know why I didn't think of cutting them
for indoors before I trampled them to get to the beans. :-(

Oh!

All is not lost. Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad I sneaked into the garden and cut a
decent bunch of Montbretia, which I placed in a vaze on the table.

Right pretty they looked...
--
Gordon H

Judith in France 25-08-2008 11:23 AM

On Aug 25, 10:35*am, Gordon H wrote:
In message , AriesVal
writes

Giant URL surgically removed.

Now THAT is a URL and an 'alf!

Compliments of 40tude Dialog 'insert wrap override character' :)

My crocs are orange, and I don't know why I didn't think of cutting them
for indoors before I trampled them to get to the beans. * * :-(

Oh!

All is not lost. * * Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad I sneaked into the garden and cut a
decent bunch of Montbretia, which I placed in a vaze on the table.

Right pretty they looked...
--
Gordon H

Didn't they drop their flowers everywhere? Mine are just going to
seed now. I hope the lady was your beloved? :-)

Judith

K 25-08-2008 11:28 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

Gordon H writes

All is not lost. Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)
--
Kay

Judith in France 25-08-2008 11:49 AM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On Aug 25, 11:28*am, K wrote:
Gordon H writes

All is not lost. * * Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)
--
Kay

I knew you would spot that, eagle eye Kay!!

Judith

Pete C[_2_] 25-08-2008 01:27 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:52 am, K wrote:
Gordon H writes

know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and
weeds is becoming an effort. :-(

They went through a period of deep unpopularity, but nowadays there
are varieties with flowers (often larger than the original) in all
shades from yellow through to rich red.

They're well worth growing for colour at this time of year, when a
lot of other thing have gone over. And the stems continue to be
attractive even when the flowers are over.
--
Kay

They certainly are Kay, I have a huge splash of red in the garden with
the C.Lucifer. I have divided them for neighbours, planted them in
other areas, but still they multiply, saying that, I would not be
without them, they are ginormous.

Judith

Any chance of some corms when you come over next? :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Gordon H 25-08-2008 04:50 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , K
writes
Gordon H writes

All is not lost. Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)

No. She volunteered to bring along a side salad to accompany the
pasta bake which I cooked.

Dammit! I even washed up!
--
Gordon H

K 25-08-2008 05:06 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

Gordon H writes
In message , K
writes
Gordon H writes

All is not lost. Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)

No. She volunteered to bring along a side salad to accompany the
pasta bake which I cooked.

Dammit! I even washed up!

"Even"?

Washing up is the least of the requirements if you entertain ;-p

--
Kay

Judith in France 25-08-2008 06:04 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On Aug 25, 5:06*pm, K wrote:
Gordon H writes

In message , K
writes
Gordon H writes

All is not lost. * * Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)

No. * *She volunteered to bring along a side salad to accompany the
pasta bake which I cooked.

Dammit! * * I even washed up!

"Even"?

Washing up is the least of the requirements if you entertain ;-p

--
Kay

LOL

Judith in France 25-08-2008 06:04 PM

On Aug 25, 1:27*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:52 am, K wrote:
[...]

London UK- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely Pete, you gave me my beloved Bluebells, so it's corms for
you. I will be back erly September, we can arrange on how to get them
to you.

Judith

Sacha[_3_] 25-08-2008 06:15 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On 25/8/08 11:23, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

[...]

The seed heads are beautiful and I use them in a mixed vase of autumnal
flowers. Don't just cut them down and chuck them - think of Harvest
Festival etc!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_3_] 25-08-2008 06:15 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On 25/8/08 11:49, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Aug 25, 11:28*am, K wrote:
Gordon H writes

All is not lost. * * Yesterday I h'entertained a lady to dinner, and
whilst she was preparing the salad

That's an interesting value of 'entertained'! You entertained her to
dinner and she prepared it ;-)
--
Kay

I knew you would spot that, eagle eye Kay!!

Judith

I'm afraid that 'helpless' male' thing caught my eye, too. ;-)

Pete C[_2_] 25-08-2008 07:32 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

Judith in France wrote:
snippy
Any chance of some corms when you come over next? :)
--
Pete C
London UK- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely Pete, you gave me my beloved Bluebells, so it's corms for
you. I will be back erly September, we can arrange on how to get them
to you.

Judith

Look forward to it ;)
--
Pete C
London UK

Sacha[_3_] 25-08-2008 11:01 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On 25/8/08 20:26, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:15:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The seed heads are beautiful and I use them in a mixed vase of autumnal
flowers. Don't just cut them down and chuck them - think of Harvest
Festival etc!

I always think Harvest Festival is too late for me - most of my crops have
gone over by then :(

You can keep and dry off Hydrangea heads if you pick them on a dry day -
first you have to find the dry day! You can take the leaves off the
Crocosmia and use the seed heads and Tricyrtis seem to be doing their thing
when we get to that point round here.

Gordon H 25-08-2008 11:40 PM

Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

In message , Sacha
writes

I'm afraid that 'helpless' male' thing caught my eye, too. ;-)

Helpless my a***!
This male does everything for himself!

I make a rule that at my house she does nothing in the kitchen, but on
this occasion she suggested bringing a salad.

Likewise when I go to her house she does it all, but I cook for us much
more often than she does...
I'm rather more organised, and have more room here.
8-p
--
Gordon H