Old 26-08-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do you earth up your potatoes?

Hi All

I am just about to go and earth up my potatoes in the bucket and was
wondering how do others earth theirs up and does it make any difference on
the crop you get.

I generally wait until the tops have shot through the dirt and are about
1-2inches high before earthing up to the underside of the leaves. I have
heard others say that they completely cover theirs...

So how do you earth yours up and how much have you got from your crops?

Donna

Old 27-08-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna Ludlow" wrote in message
Hi All

I am just about to go and earth up my potatoes in the bucket and was
wondering how do others earth theirs up and does it make any difference on
the crop you get.

I generally wait until the tops have shot through the dirt and are about
1-2inches high before earthing up to the underside of the leaves. I have
heard others say that they completely cover theirs...

So how do you earth yours up and how much have you got from your crops?

I wait until the foliage is well above the rim of the bucket then fill to
the brim with compost because I like to keep plenty of green leaves going
but I don't suppose it matters much.

Tim W

Old 28-08-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Aug, 13:02, "Donna Ludlow" wrote:

Not answering the question, but I was bemused to see on a recent
episode of "Foyle's War" potatoes being planted on the _top_ of
furrows when what I do is to plant them on the bottom leaving a pile
of soil to push over. Do/did farmers not "earth up"? Admittedly, I
can't see how you'd do it mechanically, but this was being done
manually by land army girls wanting maximum cropping in wartime.

Chris