Old 28-08-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberry leave problem

Hi All

My strawberries in the hanging basket are starting to get a brown dusty look
to them. When you look at the leaves they are covered both on top and
underneath. Any idea? I have taken the leaves off the plant now but was
wondering what it is.

Donna

Old 28-08-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna Ludlow wrote:
Hi All

My strawberries in the hanging basket are starting to get a brown dusty look
to them. When you look at the leaves they are covered both on top and
underneath. Any idea? I have taken the leaves off the plant now but was
wondering what it is.

Donna

I assume they are treated the same as strawberries in the ground. With
those you cut off all the leaves as soon as the strawberries are
finished, taking care not to damage the crowns. It is amazing how
quickly new leaves grow! Then repeat this operation in the Spring.
Old 30-08-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:05:37 +0100, "Donna Ludlow"
wrote:

Hi All

My strawberries in the hanging basket are starting to get a brown dusty look
to them. When you look at the leaves they are covered both on top and
underneath. Any idea? I have taken the leaves off the plant now but was
wondering what it is.

Donna

I always cut the old leaves off my strawberries at this time of year,
and allow new leaves to grow before winter. Try it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-08-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I always cut the old leaves off my strawberries at this time of year,
and allow new leaves to grow before winter. Try it.

I take off all the leaves, get the sun to the center of the plant, this
promotes a better plant next year.
Remember at one time you set fire to the straw that lifted the berries off the
earth, straw and leaves get flashed fried ;-) and the plant is fresh and clean
to begin again.
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1800+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.

Now post your own Sport information!