GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Getting rid of sedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178369-getting-rid-sedge.html)

Dan Smithers 03-09-2008 10:54 AM

Getting rid of sedge

In my mother's new house there are a lot of coarse sedge / grass plants
that are taking over the garden. We have tried trimming them off at
ground level and sprinkling with sodium chlorate, but they are growing
again within days.

Is there an easy way of getting rid of them without poisoning the soil
around?

They are difficult to dig out and leave a big hole.

thanks

dan

Nick Maclaren 03-09-2008 11:54 AM

Getting rid of sedge

In article , Dan Smithers writes:
| In my mother's new house there are a lot of coarse sedge / grass plants
| that are taking over the garden. We have tried trimming them off at
| ground level and sprinkling with sodium chlorate, but they are growing
| again within days.

That's precisely wrong. Sodium chlorate will kill annual weeds in
low doses, and kill everything for a fairly long period in high ones.
It is definitely a 'soil poison'.

| Is there an easy way of getting rid of them without poisoning the soil
| around?

You could try glyphosate (well diluted), but I don't know how sensitive
they are - grass is very sensitive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 03-09-2008 05:09 PM

Getting rid of sedge

In article ,
says...

In article , Dan Smithers writes:
| In my mother's new house there are a lot of coarse sedge / grass plants
| that are taking over the garden. We have tried trimming them off at
| ground level and sprinkling with sodium chlorate, but they are growing
| again within days.

That's precisely wrong. Sodium chlorate will kill annual weeds in
low doses, and kill everything for a fairly long period in high ones.
It is definitely a 'soil poison'.

| Is there an easy way of getting rid of them without poisoning the soil
| around?

You could try glyphosate (well diluted), but I don't know how sensitive
they are - grass is very sensitive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

They seem to be immune :~( Best bet is to allways cut the seed spikes off
when ever seen and fork the clumps out, but the OP is in for a battle
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Janet Conroy 03-09-2008 05:19 PM

If it is giant sedge, then digging out is the best bet, even if it's difficult to do. If you then bruise any new growth and spray it with Roundup, it will slowly give up the ghost.
Janet C