Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My climbing French beans

Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Yes. Although I had quite a few beans, the cropping period was short.
I picked a few today though.

I've never known so many crop failures in a year. I think I will be
making a lot of green tomato chutney this year.

More rain to come on Wednesday.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Christina Websell" writes:

| Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
| until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
| and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Yes. I have a 'cage' 4m x 4m x 2m and usually have them coming out
of my ears (literally). This year, my climbing blue beans have
been a near-total disaster, and the others haven't been successful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Is it the weather?

Probably.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes
Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Probably. My experience is that runners do better when it is wet, and
french with a hot dry summer.
--
Kay

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K writes:
| Christina Websell writes
| Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
| until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
| and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?
|
| Probably. My experience is that runners do better when it is wet, and
| french with a hot dry summer.

Which is VERY obvious with mine :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:02:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

I guess so. I planted equal numbers of runner beans and climbing
French, and have had hardly any of the latter. Runners did extremely
well.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 10:02*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Are a disaster this year. *I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. *I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. *Too late. *Is it the weather?

I'm having trouble keeping up with my runner bean crop, and we've been
all but flooded here in the East of Ireland!

Cat(h)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Are a disaster this year. *I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. *I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. *Too late. *Is it the weather?

I guess so. *I planted equal numbers of runner beans and climbing
French, and have had hardly any of the latter. *Runners did extremely
well.

Pam in Bristol

Oh, OK. That explains my glut, then.

Cat(h)
Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello all,

I was amazed to see this post as I have the opposite situation this year. I
am in Lincs and for the last five years I have been using 'Climbing French
bean, Neckarkonigin' which are only about fifty pence for a large packet in
Lidl.

I always have great success with them and this year they have been
exceptional. So many eaten, given away, frozen and now can't keep up and am
leaving them to dry for the winter. I usually put a row in the soil and some
in a container up a wigwam. The ones in the container have had a humungous
crop. This year just by change I had a large pot with a lavender plant next
to them which was always alive with bees; could they have been responsible?

Sorry getting carried away but I do recommend folks to try those beans; they
have a great flavour and are totally stringless. They always appear in the
spring when Lidl put out their seed racks.

Good luck

Steve.

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower

...snip...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Steve" writes:

| I was amazed to see this post as I have the opposite situation this year. I
| am in Lincs and for the last five years I have been using 'Climbing French
| bean, Neckarkonigin' which are only about fifty pence for a large packet in
| Lidl.

| Sorry getting carried away but I do recommend folks to try those beans; they
| have a great flavour and are totally stringless. They always appear in the
| spring when Lidl put out their seed racks.

Mine have not done very well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was amazed to see this post as I have the opposite situation this year.
I am in Lincs and for the last five years I have been using 'Climbing
French bean, Neckarkonigin' which are only about fifty pence for a large
packet in Lidl.

I always have great success with them and this year they have been
exceptional. So many eaten, given away, frozen and now can't keep up and
am leaving them to dry for the winter.

I'm happy for you. My situation has been the reverse and it seems I'm not
alone. It's the first year I haven't planted runner beans as well. Could
kick myself now as everyone's runners seem to have done so well.
I'm beanless..

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Saxman contains these words:
Christina Websell wrote:

Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an
inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Yes. Although I had quite a few beans, the cropping period was short.
I picked a few today though.

I've never known so many crop failures in a year. I think I will be
making a lot of green tomato chutney this year.

More rain to come on Wednesday.

Wednesday?

It's early then...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Christina Websell writes

Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Probably. My experience is that runners do better when it is wet, and
french with a hot dry summer.

My runners are - doing a runner this year.

I was told that the naturally favoured habitat of runner beans is in the
vicinity of waterfalls in Central/South America, where they thrive on
the airborne water droplets.

Seems reasonable...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-09-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Christina Websell writes
Are a disaster this year. I planted them in May, they refused to flower
until recently although growing well. I have three tiny beans an inch
long
and a few flowers now. Too late. Is it the weather?

Probably. My experience is that runners do better when it is wet, and
french with a hot dry summer.

Both my runners and climbing french have gone mad, far too many to eat!

Alan

Climbing French Beans in September (and not before) Trevor United Kingdom 3 21-02-2007 10:17 AM
french beans hillier United Kingdom 15 29-02-2004 07:46 AM
Climbing French Beans - making a come back WasTa United Kingdom 6 25-09-2003 07:44 PM
Silly question about climbing french beans: swroot United Kingdom 4 24-04-2003 07:56 PM
French Dwarf beans in a pot DP United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 10:45 AM